[PlayRAW] First snow in Canadian Rockies

Pull both images into gimp and mask off the sky.

I am not good with colors, so I took the camera’s WB at face value. I agree that there is a lot of blue, but as a counterpoint, doesn’t the snow just reflect what’s in the sky, which is blue?

That would be logical, but it never seems so in real life! Of course, it’s possible that our brain “knows” snow is white and does its own little white balance! :}

One with RawTherapee and LightZone:

Edit: RT mostly for the default CA correction, some defringing, highlight reconstruction with colour propagation, plus a modest tone curve. LightZone for another curve (“ZoneMapper”), then mostly for different local contrast tools in combination with regions and luminosity masks, saturation enhancements etc.

6 Likes

hi @patdavid, please could you point me at some step-by-step info on providing a license, I’ve no idea what’s involved

A slightly more (over)edited/less dull, and the last, version:

Thank you for the patience!

2 Likes

Sure!

You’ll normally just declare which license you’re releasing the raw file under in the first post, and include any necessary links.

For instance, on my last play_raw post I used:

This file is licensed
(Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike) by me, Pat David.

The raw markdown to insert this is:

This file is licensed 
![](upload://wT0ghKS9OwigO3PEOAp0iL483QQ.png)
([Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ "Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0")) by me, _Pat David_.

Kinda of half decent
 tree tops has this ugly grey bevel. RT only.

1 Like

A reminder to everyone that the point of these competitions is to share your sidecar files where possible.

@elGordo pointed out the blueness of the snow. I tried the usual trick of making a BW layer using G’MIC and blending it with the my previous submission using layer mask for making snow white. Here is the outcome.

3 Likes

I don’t think there is much to recover, I aimed for a natural look in RawTherapee

IMGP2701.DNG.pp3 (9.8 KB)

1 Like

Bonjour.
Trés belle photo.
Traitement avec Art.
IMGP2701.DNG.arp (28.2 KB)

Thanks for the opportunity to play with this image.
My try in GIMP.

1 Like

Details in the sky, check. Natural look, eeh
 not so much :sweat_smile:
Done with darktable git

1 Like

ART

1 Like

My version of GIMP 2.1024 LAB components
 removed CA

2 Likes

My version