[PlayRaw] Long exposure of waterflow, to process or not to process

This is how not to do it story. There are two shots, one is 1/4 and another 2 seconds. Here are exported and resized jpegs:

1/4 no processing

ignore people at top of frame. Rain, cold and they must come and examine water at close distance.

2 seconds processed with dehazing, equalizer and local contrast

the same 2 seconds without processing

My processing effort ruined long exposure and milky water, about 4 stops. Maybe 5 or more stops. 1903 is 100 ISO and 1922 is Lo 1 (50 ISO), both are taken through variable ND filter some mid value, do not remember exactly. Well, 100 ISO requires less time than 50 ISO, so 3 to 4 stops is correct.

Sidecar for processed 2 second shot FED_1922_01.NEF.xmp (2.5 KB)
Raws
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JCnw2ui7j3HnfArPhZMD248Ol4Ytkxjs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w7D290WBG2VkHZcitI1nWQqDJwvAxTIb

Released under CC BY-SA 4.0, enjoy

1 Like

Without processing you see more of the time-smoothed water. With the processing you’ve gotten more of the underlying rocky structures beneath the water, which to me is more natural looking.

Whole long exposure (I see that as goal of this exercise) is lost and it is still not natural, exposure of human eye is 1/100 to 1/200 of second. For example 1/15 will also produce smoothing effect but you can not see that with naked eye.

Well I was speaking more of how natural the stream looks, not comparing with the naked eye. Never heard of 1/100 - 1/200 for eyesight…

\LARGE\mathsf{\color{indigo}The\ eyes\ are\ {\mathit{HDR}}\ anyway.}

and a dark adapted retina can be as sensitive as a 2s exposure. For motion, the persistence of vision is 1/16…

Testing with darktable 2.60

FED_1903.NEF.xmp (5,9 Ko)

2 Likes

Lonely thread here. Here is my take of the two shots. Exact same processing, saved as JPG and then aligned for easier comparison; excuse the black bars.

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → CA correction → AMaZE → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → linear sRGB 32f
2. gmic → filter pixels → my fun “texture” filter → resize (1800) → JPG → move frames to align

Zoom 100%, switch between them and enjoy!

1 Like

Bonus Animated GIF (GIFs are lower quality than JPGs)

1 Like