[PlayRAW] Maastricht

Hello all,

I’ve attached a Fuji RAF file, taken with my X10. I use this shot frequently to test pp3’s and to improve my skills.
Also attached is what I consider a pretty decent conversion (I prefer B&W for most photography) but I’m also extremely critical of myself, so - I’d like to see what other 'togs can do with this image.
Looking forward to your results and thanks for playing along!DSCF1888.RAF (19.0 MB)

I release the attached files under the Creative Commons license Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0

3 Likes

You just say “I release the attached file under the Creative Commons license” and pick the version of the license you find appropriate. You can cope the HTML for the pictogram from another post.

Merci @Klusjesman for the very weird scenery, symbolically worth of a Jodorowsky :stuck_out_tongue:

In Darktable I did the high fly shaky dance or push a little bit of this button and then push a little more of every other button till there are so many buttons that it’s difficult to remember the name of my youngest sister. Xmp on the side

DSCF1888.RAF.xmp (22.4 KB)

Result

I was conflicting and cohesively conflatulent because Christ mainly; that’s a good spot for JC to quietly enjoy a well deserved do nuthin or meditate or spliff and yet there he is, forever representing what all other people want him to. But overall the scene is strange, a scooter (orange/red) a big tree at the center, a semi-hidden car, a blue window (probably reflecting the sky) on the attic, a good all brick wall, one of those that last like 1000 times more than our photographic equipment (just lost one camera), then the roses at El Cristito de Palo feet. I don’t know what to think anymore.
So in order to be able to go on I shift my interest from sceneic to chromenic and lefthe good sport Darktable to go to the strip club, yes photochop; reason being I had a couple (homebrewed) LUTs I wanted to try. And so I mixed two salamanders and the colour was acceptable. I saved the file but then still not happy about the framing. At first I went radical and chopped everything out just to leave the tree at the very center on a square crop… but then, again JC is already so not enjoying anything, not even a sort of smile like Budha… So left him with the bloody flowers at his feet and also the scooter case he feels like he has had enough of cristianity BS and wants to go around with his mane on the wind. Poor tree, I did like that absolute abortion of a human being that happens to be president of the Amerrrrica, and I cut it off… hope I can sleep tonight, je jeje

1 Like

I liked the scooter but was not so pleased with the car, so I did some rather sloppy grafting and cloning in GIMP along with my usual modi operandi after some minor adjustments in DT:

For all you pixel peepers, here’s one that is not quite so sloppy, but still of questionable quality.:wink:

Darktable (2.3.0) :DSCF1888.RAF.xmp (12.8 KB)

3 Likes

@MLC Wow! Great cloning skills! You should make some tutorial about it. :slight_smile:

Done with Darktable and GIMP. This scene reminds me of a picture from my childhood, so last step was great vintage emulation filter from G’MIC :slight_smile:

2 Likes

rawtherapee DSCF1888.RAF.pp3 (11.0 KB)
I’ve tried to stay quite neutral and without any clipping in shadows and highlights

1 Like

@MLC Good call in removing the car. The (minor) problem I have with the cloning is that the actual fence goes out a little farther and the right-side should not have a rail going downward. From what I can see through the windows of the car, it appears that the stairs to the basement can only be accessed from the left, unlike that which goes to the first floor.

DSCF1888.RAF.xmp (7.0 KB)
All in darktable.
Used a combination of exposure, highlights & shadows, global tonemap, tonemapping, lowpass & highpass filters to try and get the tonal balance, plus some perspective correction on the buildings which then influenced my crop.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it was sloppy for no reason.:wink:

Looks convincing until one takes a good look. I wouldn’t call that sloppy. :wink: Compare that with the Photoshop slip-ups we see all the time in print and web media. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

True that!

DSCF1888.RAF_exposure.pp3 (11.0 KB)

Darktable development

I also prefer the BW version for this photo. Processed so that the tree is the main object with the statue of Christ as an interesting counter point.
First RT : DSCF1888.jpg.out.pp3 (11.3 KB)

Then GIMP.

Edit: Upon second look, the alloy wheel of the car looked distracting. So using the clone stamp tool with very low opacity and soft brush, I dulled it using the cobbled stones as the source.

2 Likes