[PlayRAW] Mabel

I was taking some quick shots of my daughter the other day and thought this one might be suitable for others to play with:

This image has all kinds of problems. Only one eye is actually in focus and has a hair falling across it. The off white wall is, well, just kinda blech and contributes to a lack of contrast between it and her hair. I also find her knee to be somewhat distracting, but of all the shots I took, this was my favorite expression, so it’s the one I chose.

Her birthmark is actually a segmental hemangioma for which she was on medication untill she was a year and a half. I tend not to touch it in post except to clean up any gunk she happened to get on her face, which can be somewhat challenging at times. Kids are gross.

Raw file: DSC_5477.NEF (8.8 MB)

The XMP is rather basic as I am definitely more partial to editing in GIMP: DSC_5477.NEF.xmp (3.8 KB)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

4 Likes

Lovely little lady :blush:
I like your pastel tones, so I went for a different look

RawTherapee plus a bit of GMIC to get rid of the knee. I also brigthened it a little bit in Gimp because I noticed it was too dark

2 Likes

You’re telling me. :slight_smile:

[update] - I had a few minutes to play quickly…

4 Likes

My high key attempt done in RawTherapee:

1 Like

Darktable (2.2.5): DSC_5477.NEF.xmp (15.2 KB)

My attempt, highkey, square crop (+final sharpening in gimp, eyes only):

darktable 2.2.5 DSC_5477.NEF.xmp (6.7 KB)

3 Likes

@MLC Thanks Morgan for the lovely portrait of your daughter, she’s too cute :hamster:
Also all people contributing their processing

Photoflow trying as natural as possible balance between colours, smoothness and details. Just cropped outside (crop tool stucked) then also realized needed a bit of extra brightness. Salu2 :deciduous_tree:

DSC_5477.pfi.zip (2.3 KB)

@patdavid We had similar idea for crop, like your version better though, lovely colours (tender palette) :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Yes, her expression is indeed wonderful. Here is an attempt with RT 5.1
DSC_5477-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

2 Likes

Raw PhotoFlow
Play G’MIC: LCH, Blend, Curve · Inkscape: Crop
Mabel: No, you are gross!

Edit #2: Had trouble cropping with GIMP; didn’t yield satisfactory results. After various attempts, settled for Inkscape. Used this opportunity to improve the results in every way. Enjoy!

Rectangular Crop

Circular Crop

1 Like

“Mabel: No, you are gross!
Heh, she would say that! :grinning:

We are all gross in some way :stuck_out_tongue:.

BTW, I improved my results. Turns out I had a better time with Inkscape than GIMP.

@stonefree Reminds me of the Gerber Baby :smile:.

mabel.pp3 (11.8 KB)

2 Likes

Inspired by @age, here is a high key look. Giving Mabel an angelic look :slightly_smiling_face:
DSC_5477.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

Here is my quick try with Darktable only. I tried to “heal” skin lesion just by using a color curve. Cute girl!

DSC_5477.NEF.xmp (9.3 KB)