[PlayRaw] Macro

Shooting macro I get a lot of pictures out of focus / moved / under exposed / etc… I usually delete them, but once in a while I get one that I still like and I wonder if something can be done with it.

This is my attempt with darktable on this one:

EH_20170414_DSC2980.nef (27.3 MB)

This file is licensed
(Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike) by me, Edgardo Hoszowski.

PS: my monitor is not calibrated, so I have no idea what colours you may see…

5 Likes

Nice picture, thanks for sharing! Here’s mine with RawTherapee.

1 Like

Nice photo. I tried to introduce some drama in the photo by an unusual size crop.
EH_20170414_DSC2980.jpg.out.pp3 (10.2 KB)

Very cool shot!

Rawtherapee, gimp 2.9.5, g’mic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trying retinex in RT, messing with colors.

1 Like

Had a bit a play with it in darktbale.

All (over)done in darktable :slight_smile:

EH_20170414_DSC2980.nef.xmp (15.1 KB)

Very nice crop!

Thanks @Edgardo_Hoszowski for the spider POV to mess with and all pip’s super versions.

Mine did come out similar to yours, a mix of drama and diffused light; milkier blacks and acidic greens. Velvia with a shift. First went into RPP, as photoflow kept crashing, then to PF and finally all gmic spit inside gimp =)

Raw dcraw PhotoFlow
Play G’MIC
Color Managed No

Very nice details, specially on the spider body. And it didn’t bring up the noise or the specular highlights. That’s one of the thing I find most difficult on high ISO shots, when I try to get some details I end up sharpening the noise.

Nice crop, I didn’t think of rotate it, it gives more tension to the scene.

I like this crop better than mine, now that I see it the right side is too busy and distracting. Too bad for the other spider…

1 Like

Thanks!!
However, I decided to have another go at this using Photoflow this time, as I am learning it at the moment.
I wanted to try and bring out the spider’s web strands, so had to leave in the right-side of the picture this time :slight_smile:

I tried to upload the .pfi sidecar file but .pfi is not allowed, so I zipped it up.
EH_20170414_DSC2980.pfi.zip (3.7 KB)