[PlayRaw] Pink Poppies and a Brownie

It’s poppy season here in Oregon and I couldn’t be happier!

Unlike some people, my neighbors kindly got their crap together early enough to plant some beautiful wild flowers and they are absolutely rocking my world right now. And what do my neighbors get for all their trouble, you ask? Well, me constantly creeping in their yard with my eye glued to my camera, of course! Also, I may have dragged other people with cameras along with me.:grin:

These images are just a few of the shots I’ve taken over the last several weeks and I’ve had so much fun editing them that I thought I’d share with all of you.

This one was edited in DT and only resized in GIMP.
DSC_5664.NEF (9.3 MB)
DSC_5664.NEF.xmp (4.7 KB)

I know I often submit my GIMP edits without much explanation, so I thought, with the power of G’MIC, I’d try showing the juxtaposition between how they come out of DT to GIMP here:

This shot was edited in DT and then taken into GIMP to crop, clone out the stem and for some light curves and toning.

DSC_5620.NEF (9.4 MB)
DSC_5620.NEF.xmp (3.1 KB)

Not flowers, I know, but one of the people with cameras I dragged along recently inherited a Brownie Hawkeye, so we loaded it with some Portra 400 I had in the fridge and had a field day!

I, of course, snapped a shot of the camera. I was really annoyed by that twig, so I had to take it away in GIMP.

DSC_5671.NEF (9.6 MB)
DSC_5671.NEF.xmp (2.5 KB)

I really hope everyone is having a fun, photogenic summer!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

5 Likes

And here I was hoping for a brownie of the delectable edible kind.

1 Like

Difficult, with all these subtle shades of light red. DT only.
[Sorry uploaded wrong version, correction below]

DSC_5664.NEF.xmp (5.9 KB)

3 Likes

Nice shots @MLC . Here are my versions of the flowers:
In the first one, I decided to highlight the twisty stems of the buds. Used GIMP only for some curves and selective sharpening.
DSC_5620.jpg.out.pp3 (12.0 KB)

DSC_5664.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

3 Likes

@shreedhar I like the crops!! Especially the first one.

Thanks @MLC. The point was to diagonally balance the bud on the right edge with the small bud on the left edge. Glad you liked it.

MLC_Poppy_DSC_5664.jpg.out.pp3 (10.7 KB)

2 Likes

… and now the Brownie

DSC_5671.NEF.xmp (15.5 KB)

1 Like

1 Rawtherapee locallab_dev spot on the camera to highlight it with tone mapping, etc. Portra 160 simulation and white balance on the silver part of camera face.

DSC_5671.NEF.pp3 (11.5 KB)

2 Likes

Yes, your white balance is much better than mine, which is still to bluish :slightly_frowning_face:

Both of these with Filmulator.

1 Like

Tried to bring out the structures in the black…

3 Likes

@MLC I like the bending stems.

@McCap Interesting take. Looks like it could use a wipe. That is what it gets from being glossy black :slight_smile:.