[PlayRaw] Problems, problems, problems

Great!

My status got elevated and I was able to upload my xmp files :slight_smile: Yay!

1 Like

Sorry, @harry_durgin! I was on work travel or I would have elevated your account as soon as I could! :slight_smile:

(I did go ahead and push it up anyway, just to be sure).

1 Like

Sorry, I do not see the xmp. I know it’s my fault. Where is it kept?

They show up for me at the underneath the picture I posted.

Opss… I just have seen it above. Thanks.
But… Why there are also two tif.xmp? I am missing something due to my ignorance :disappointed:

Thanks, Harry. I just have discovered them :slight_smile:

I did a first pass to get the white balance, denoise, large scale tonal adjustments, etc. The 2nd pass was to get into shading and more color enhancement, then a final pass for white and black points, final sharpening and such. I saved as tif in between each pass.

I understand now :thumbsup:

1 Like

Hello @McCap,
I like the picture, it makes me think of my old Chuck Norris movies, like “missing in action”.

I tried an HDR again and finished it in RT with a self brewed HaldClut to vintage B&W.
The HDR made from script : one neutral, one +1.5, one -1.5 in RT → then LuminanceHDR → Fusion from HDR and neutral picture, finaly in RT with the Haldclut.
Luminance HDR 2.4.0 tonemapping parameters:
Operator: Mantiuk06
Parameters:
Contrast Mapping factor: 0.9
Saturation Factor: 1.5
Detail Factor: 20
PreGamma: 0.75
Regards,
Marc

5 Likes

First off thank you @McCap for the raw and the sharing experience =) and all people participating and contributing :electric_plug: their versions

This image was so interesting and it has taken me so many “approaches” to come to peace with what I was seeing. At the beggining my first re-action was to make it as beutiful as possible… {buzz} WRONG! Then I went on a light savaging journey {sinking} glub glub :fish: Finally I gave up and I only played around with it in photoflow to test bugs and make arguments for controversial disscusions… I know what a low life, he he. But who knew, when all is lost
In the meantime I had being editing and grading a film, so resumed my love for tinkering with colour, also was a good excuse for cleaning up and organizing my LUT’s cage. So with no expectations, with no objective in mind I played around a little more; enough to come to realize that (for me) this was a postcard, an image of a place I’ll probably never visit but yet somehow made it into my dull existence… like a postcard a friend would send me from an exotic corner of the earth. The resulting couple of images were a mixdown result of all this blabing =)

A more dramatic one, the someone lost a leg on the rice fields and gods just don’t care kind

A strange yet pleasent enough darkish mix (a pastel snapshot of a possible Apocalypse Now {one the greatest films ever made, linked with a great docu, a great book by Munch - blink - and of course London’s The Heart of Darkness} location) of a couple old home-brewed LUTs

4 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, i was really busy lately.

Thanks for all the great varaiations. It is intreresting to see how many people were reminded of some movies :smiley:.
Furthermore it is relaxing to note that a cloudy picture remains a cloudy picture and this is valid for everybody and not just for me :sweat_smile:

Some really nice contributions there that really like!

1 Like

quick attempt in just darktable
the weird halo around the horizon is from darktable masking
if I wanted to make this proper it would be done about like this with 2 outputs from darktable then
use gimp to get a proper horizon mask made to make sure a nice smooth transition exists between the 2 ‘exposures’
exposure bracketing at time of initial exposure would of been nice to capture the sky fully
included the darktable xmp file for reference

IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (4.5 KB)

darktable 2.60
IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (7,8 Ko)

Bit of an attempt to try and get what might have been seen - sky’s probably a bit light and I cloned out the burnt out part before brightening even more. This would probably turn out to be my first attempt on a shot like this.

IMG_8936.CR2.pp3 (10.3 KB)

John

Mk2 from the other one

Fotoxx to save using layers. Mid tone flatten, ramp to darken down the sky and yet another white balance on a cloud.

:rofl: On this one I might decide I’d gone too far but knowing what I was going to do this time start again.

John

Somewhere in between the two would be nice. You might want to work on your masking technique.

No not masking just less of what I did. I step in particular.

John

I don’t know about that; see here:

300%

I didn’t do any masking.