[PlayRaw] Sailing Scene @ Garda Lake

I made some edits with darktable of this shot of mine and I really find difficult to make the background pop up from the haze…have fun with this!

_DSC0047.NEF (10.8 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)

5 Likes

Nice scene you have there! Were you on a sailboat yourself? How was the wind? Bookmarked for processing. :slight_smile:

Tough and nice to play with! Thanks for sharing.

The best I could do was triplicating filmic and remove haze/adjust colors with tone curve. It seems artificial to me (especially the water), but at least I could recover some detail in the background (I think… :thinking:).

_DSC0047.NEF.xmp (15.5 KB)

1 Like

I’m a sucker for sailing pictures…

Here’s my take, in rawproc:

1. open with colorspace=prophoto;gamma=linear;whitebalance=auto; this is my default playraw open
  2. denoise:wavelet
  3. blackwhitepoint:rgb, to stretch the contrast
  4. curve:blue, I don’t have a dehaze tool, so this is my attempt to neutralize its blue cast only in the lower and mid-tones
  5. curve:rgb: attempt to adjust the overall tones
  6. crop: put the sailboat on the right third line, put the sky into a bit more prominence
  7. saturation: just a bit, to see what would happen
  8. resize: to a manageable upload size
  9. sharpen: because I always do that post-resize

2 Likes

I love that bird in the sky

_DSC0047.NEF.xmp (8.5 KB)
_DSC0047_01.NEF.xmp (8.9 KB)

_DSC0047.NEF.xmp (12.1 KB)

5 Likes

RawTherapee and GIMP gave me this:

Unfortunately I wasn’t on that boat but it would be great! :slight_smile:

_DSC0047.NEF.pp3 (12.4 KB)
Rawtherapee and the auto stretch contrast tool in gimp

I was playing with G’MIC and accidentally came across an interesting effect. Thought it might suit this photo. Minimal processing. The contrast might be too low for your liking…

1. PhotoFlow → basic processing → filmic (OCIO; very low contrast)
2. gmic→ new effect

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

1 Like

My take using Rawtherapee:

_DSC0047.NEF.pp3 (11.1 KB)

Of the ones uploaded so far, the one I like best is the one uploaded by @yteaot

And another version for consideration.

_DSC0047.NEF.pp3 (11.1 KB)

2 Likes

What I don’t like are the artifacts in the clouds; they are quite numerous and distracting. I know that @yteaot tends to push the processing to the seams and I agree it seems to work for this photo.

_DSC0047.jpg.out.pp3 (11,7 KB)

1 Like

Garde See or Lago de Garda? I saw it 60 years ago driving South from Germany into Italy in a Rambler Station Wagon that came across the Atlantic on the Queen Elizabeth. In those daze the Rambler was a small car in the States–and an enormous one in Europe. I’ll see what I can do.

…or maybe not. I only see a jpeg to download.

I completely missed that until pulling up the larger version. For me it was the mountains and the greenery that made it.

darktable 2.6.1

_DSC0047_01.NEF.xmp (10,6 Ko)

1 Like

Managed to recover some detail in the dark hazy mountains. However, there’s very little color information there. Tough shot to get right and you exposed maybe a bit to conservatively leaving not a lot tonal range to work with. On the plus side, no blown out highlights in the sky.

I started with the filmic module to get the overall tone right. I then used the haze filter and zone system to compress the mountains with a parametric mask to limit the effect a bit. Then I used a series of tone curves to work on the sky and the mountains again. I used color zones to boost contrast outside a narrow band of blue that seems to make the most of this. Denoise profile to smooth out some of the noise in the dark parts.

_DSC0047.NEF.xmp (6.3 KB)

2 Likes

darktable 2.6.1 TRY N&B

_DSC0047_02.NEF.xmp (6,5 Ko)