[PlayRaw] Smogville, CA

The air quality due to the Camp Fire in Northern California is just choking us here in the SF Bay.
How bad is it? Well I’m glad you asked.

Image I made a few years ago on an average fair weather day:

Today (15 Nov 2018):

(RawTherapee 5.4: neutral with auto-matched tone curve.

Here is the smoggy Raw from today, if you would like to experiment.
IMG_5730.CR2 (20.7 MB)

4 Likes

Morning!

My first thought was to try DCP Haze in gimp/g’mic.
But my CPU evidently is not powerful enough :frowning:
since it needed 4.5 minutes to produce a result.

Instead, I ran it through the new filmic module in darktable.
Here is the result (using default settings in dt as well as in filmic):

Impressive! After additional tweaking:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Smoky haze seems to produce a vintagey look when dehazed and pardon my sensor dust!

GIMP 2.8 and G’MIC,

G’MIC: Mixer [PCA], Normalize Brightness, DCP Dehaze, Curves.
GIMP: Wavelet denoise (Ycb and Ycr).

a bit noisy.

1 Like

The preview JIFF of the smog-filled image needs a ton of contrast to sort it out, so there is a lo-fi quality to the result. Based on that I’ve used an unusual curve, G’MIC’s posterise effect and a bloom glare for this:

Following suggested ‘filmic’ approach added ‘haze removal’, both in uniform overlay what made picture quite dark, to remedy that used ‘zone system’. Spent about minute on processing. Attempt to use DCP Dehaze didn’t look promissing, huge amount of noise in preview, so I didn’t actually use GIMP/GMIC, only darktable.

Dag Filip!

Is your computer faster than mine? (Grrrrrrr)
Using g’mic|dcp dehaze took for ever on
my machine :cry:

MvG
Claes in Lund, Zweden

Didn’t apply it, preview was looking really bad. But I can run it and let you know how long it takes.

If you have the time: yes, please, it could be fun.
Just use the default settings in dcp dehaze so that
we can compare more easy.

3:27 default settings Intel(R) Core™ i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 16GB RAM

Thank you. Now I am happy again:
0:20 Ryzen 2700+ @ 4GHz, 16 gig RAM.
It must have been a bad setting I used the other day,
when it took 4:30.

Should probably mentioned that I was processing tif, 16 bit integer on Debian 9

darktable: IMG_5730.CR2.xmp (7.6 KB)

Gimp / G’MIC-Qt / Painting
Crop

2 Likes

@HIRAM, the middle house seem to have changed its color in between the two shots!
Here is an attempt to defog the scene.
IMG_5730-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

EDIT
On second look, I didn’t like the dark green patch on the lower left. So used negative graduated filter on that side to get this:

IMG_5730-2.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

@shreedhar Your take could easily be in one of those coffee tables with a glass display.

1 Like

Yeah @afre. Now that you mentioned it, it does have nostalgia evoking feel that the marketing guys at Coffee house chains are fond of showing us (along with 80"s music) in order to loosen our purse strings!

Many impressive fog removal techniques on display here. I’m not experienced enough to post an original technique, but this was a good learning example for me.

My take. Didn’t adjust the WB or apply dual demosaicing. I liked how the mid freq sharpening gave the image some texture.

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (none) → Rec2020 (no clipping) → 32f
2. gmic → crop (2:1) → smooth R B (half guided) → sharpen (mid freq contrast) → blends (HLG, retinex) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → sharpen (LoG) → resize

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

2 Likes

Hey afre,

That is a good one!

/Claes

looks like a painting… background painting in a cool cartoon series… seen through a window… with a net… after a night out… where hell broke loose… and you started smoking again… what fire?!! :+1: @afre → coomander :rainbow: