[PlayRaw] The commuters

It’s not the best image out there, but I kinda like it. I shot it in the New York subway, with a 12mm f/2 manual lens.
I like both the color and and the black and white versions:

Here’s the raw for you to play with (Licensed under CC BY-SA):
DSCF5685.RAF (18.5 MB)

9 Likes

So dark. Makes me want to fall asleep… :sleepy:
but I could never fall asleep on a moving vehicle…

1 Like

How did you take this particular photo? Nobody seems to have noticed your camera.

1 Like

yes, I really like the composition. I wish I was so discreet…

1 Like

I notice people taking photos in transit. It isn’t too obvious unless you are looking at your surroundings.

1 Like

DSCF5685.RAF.xmp (8.7 KB)

2 Likes

Years ago I was told (perhaps by some movie?) not to make eye contact in the New York subway. Although nothing unpleasant has actually happened to me in NY.

1 Like

My camera was at waist level, while I was sitting. My camera has a tilting screen, so it was quite easy to get unnoticed while framing the shot. I used perspective correction in RT.

1 Like

Thanks! But this kind of KGB mode could also piss somebody, I suppose. I’m no good with humans …

Uh oh, I look around all of the time. It is kind of weird to be a zombie.

Still, zombies are all about meat, I’m all about that bass. Let’s make some photos instead of only chatting!
:relaxed:

1 Like

PP3: DSCF5685-3.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

PP3: DSCF5685-4.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

@sguyader

I absolutely love this colour edit. Is this done in RawTherapee by any chance? and if yes, how?

1 Like

Thanks Stefan. Yes, it’s all done in RT. This color comes mostly from the Vision Color OSIRIS M31 HaldCLUT I’ve used. I also picked the white balance from one of the window border, and lowered the vibrance of saturated tones.

1 Like

Nice shot @sguyader!
DSCF5685.jpg.out.pp3 (11.9 KB)

1 Like

@sguyader oh HaldCLUTs, how I love them and hate them :stuck_out_tongue: wonderful things, but so cryptic as to how they are made. Oh well. Great work once again! and fantastic image!

1 Like

Enjoying the variant HaldCLUT looks here, but I wanted to acknowledge the very nice metaphorical freight of this great"street" shot.

The repeated Shen Yun show poster across the top appears to signal the different “mesmerized” states (after Franz Mesmer, the ‘inventor’ of hypnosis) into which the subway riders have fallen, a common human response to the paradoxical isolation-within-a-crowd subway experience: “we’re all together but we’re all alone.”

1 Like

DSCF5685.RAF.pp3 (14.6 KB)

1 Like