[PlayRaw] The dude

So here’s the story behind these. I did a fun portrait shoot with this fine fella’ the other day and I must admit I am slightly struggling with the lighting situation. Ideas are welcome! have at it :slight_smile:

Raw File: here
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

Raw File: here
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

PP3 for both of these

I’d especially appreciate colour versions, especially of the second one. I find the light in the scene to be difficult :frowning:

3 Likes

DUDE

Discourse being funny, or am I at fault?

1 Like

You need punctuation for a complete sentence.

DUDE transcends punctuation.

1 Like

Well, here is my attempt using a vignette and because I liked Kodak T-MAX 3200 back in analog days took the suitable LUT.
RT 5.7

ND7_0894_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

ND7_0894.NEF.pp3 (12.0 KB) ND7_0944.NEF.pp3 (12.0 KB)

1 Like

I felt that this photo should be done with less contrast. RT 5.7.
ND7_0894-1.jpg.out.pp3 (13.0 KB)

1 Like

colour anyone?

ND7_0894.jpg.out.pp3 (12.2 KB)

2 Likes

I felt he ought to be softened, like a dreamy dude?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

ND7_0894-2.jpg.out.pp3 (13.4 KB)

And here is another approach for the second one…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

DUDE, was waiting for that! :clap:

1 Like

Fuji XTrans II Classic Crome LUT and jpg-Illuminator to reduce saturation of the very blue coat

ND7_0894_RT-2.jpg.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)

Edit: should have used the built-in HSV equalizer!

1 Like

@Sunhillow Very nice. My favourite so far. (Edges out @Claes:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

1 Like

ND7_0894.NEF.pp3 (11.9 KB) ND7_0944.NEF.pp3 (11.9 KB) MY LOVE COLOR FUJI VELVIA LUT PATDAVID.FUJIFILM X-TRANS III VELVIA. BALANCE WHITE MANUAL

1 Like

The reason I think the scene is difficult to work with is the saturation of the yellows and the face. :frowning:

I agree with you that the colors are bright and the skin is saturated. you can use another film preset, chrome, but I personally like it when the photo is bright and saturated. Each person has their own perception of color.

in a black and white photo, it’s better when the skin looks white rather than gray in a white-skinned person. You have a medium gray tone in the photo, the skin is dark like that of an Indian. It’s better to use the black-and-white conversion on the red channel, then the photo will be better, the skin is cleaner from imperfections .

One other pain in the butt I think is that the shots have direct sunlight in the background, but shade on the subject. If you look at @heckflosse shot it’s apparent that the sun in the background (warmer) is a different temperature (of course) than the subject in shade (colder). This throws the skin tones out of whack (similar problem to mixing artificial light with natural light).

It may require two images to be developed with the varying WB and then compositing them back together to get a good balance to start working from?