Pond along the Kungsleden in Kvikkjokk-Kabla fjällurskog

Hello all,

I have a hard time getting the sky to look like anything but pure white or overprocessed stuff.

DSCF2588.RAF (32.1 MB) DSCF2588.RAF.xmp (72.3 KB)

I use darktable w/ filmic v4. The best I’ve been able to come up with this far is using another instance of filmic, with the first one applied only to the sky and the other one to both, but I don’t think that’s the right way to do it and the result is less than stellar.

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

edit: thank you all for your pretty and inspiring developments! I’ve uploaded my current version on File:Pond along the Kungsleden in Kvikkjokk-Kabla fjällurskog (DSCF2588).jpg - Wikimedia Commons with a link to this page.
DSCF2588_03.RAF.xmp (29.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks, for the picture!

DSCF2588.RAF.xmp (19.6 KB)

1 Like

vkdt with a bit of extra log space lifting
…in fact maybe i had a bit much contrast, i think i like this one better:

2 Likes

Beautiful, thank you!

I tried playing with vkdt, but

[trougnouf@d]: /usr/share/vkdt>$ ./vkdt -d all ‘/home/trougnouf/Pictures/ITookAPicture/X-T1/2019/07/Laponia/172_FUJI/DSCF2588.RAF’
[ERR] module burst has no connectors!
[gui] vk extension required by GLFW:
[gui] VK_KHR_surface
[gui] VK_KHR_xcb_surface
[qvk] error VK_ERROR_LAYER_NOT_PRESENT executing vkCreateInstance(&inst_create_info, NULL, &qvk.instance)!
[ERR] init vulkan failed
[ERR] failed to init gui/swapchain

That might be an issue with mesa20 (arch), I will wait for a vulkan/mesa update.

My version:

DSCF2588_01.RAF.xmp (13,6 KB)

For me the green trees and water in the foreground were important.

4 Likes

Photoflow:

DSCF2588.pfi (26.9 KB)

3 Likes

DSCF2588.RAF.xmp (10.3 KB)

2 Likes

Rt. 5.8

DSCF2588.jpg.out.pp3 (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

I gave it a try with darktable

DSCF2588.RAF.xmp (11.4 KB)

1 Like

My attempt with dt3.0.2

DSCF2588.RAF.xmp (10.0 KB)

5 Likes

DSCF2588.jpg.out.pp3 (11.3 KB)

the sky is indeed not easy to edit

2 Likes

Nice one!

pond.kungsleden.fujifilm.x-t1.raf.xmp (12.0 KB) darktable 3.0.2

Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

GIMP. I treated the sky separately with a selection. Also tried to give a little emphasis to the reflection in the water.

3 Likes

Nice shot, Thanks for sharing My take DT 3.0.1 based on Auto-filmic Aurelien dtstyle DSCF2588_01.RAF.xmp (10.6 KB) + Color/Exposure tuning

4 Likes

DSCF2588.RAF.xmp (4.9 KB, dt3.1)

Don’t have filmic v4 yet, but the video shows what I did with v3:

4 Likes

The image must be fake… I can’t see any mosquitoes :slight_smile:
(I’m from the ‘area’ but you have to follow the water quite a few km downstream)

You have an interesting order in which you apply the modules. Noticed that in your other video (can’t find it any more) as well.

Is that on purpose and if so why?

Example: velvia/vibrance early and lens correction very late. My intuition tells me that lens correction influences the lightness, especially on the edges and should be done as early as possible.

Nice shot!

DSCF2588.RAF.xmp (9.2 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you! I really like how simple and effective your process is (there are no masks or stacked modules). How did you come up with this tone curve?

Thanks!
I used curves in LAB in order to increase color saturation. You can read the details here and here. Instead of curves the color contrast module can also be used for that.

1 Like