Preview in RT more saturated than in output image

@Jossie I’m curious, and unrelated to this discussion, with my EIZO I had this strange problem that I found it difficult to get sharp eye focus. No problem focusing on the same image on an adjacent non-IPS screen. Do you experience the same issue?

@Claes Well, I won a bet with my wife and then I got permission to buy the Eizo :slight_smile:

@Morgan_Hardwood No, I do not have this problem, at least I am not aware of it. If I view the screen at proper angle through my glasses the image is sharp.

Hermann-Josef

To my experience, it’s one of those things that you read and read and read about, and come away feeling not much smarter. Then, you play with it a bit, and the relationships start to make themselves evident, and it’s really not that tough to comprenend. Then, you go and tell everyone what you understand, and they look at you “like a dog watching TV”… happy to be there, don’t understand a bit of it. And so the cycle goes…

@ggbutcher

Good evening Glenn,
I agree that it is a struggle. But there are a few books out there which helped me at least to see the underlying principle. The book by Fraser, Murphy and Bunting (2005) is really good explaining the principles. However, if it comes to the technical details, this is not the right place. I am still looking around to find a book at the intermediate level, i.e. not that technical as the ICC specification itself but more detailed than Fraser’s book.

Concerning the topic of this threat:
In SilverFast’s preferences for the colour management I have for input → internal and for internal → monitor the choice between “none” and “Image Color Matching (ICM)”. I had assumed that ICM is the system’s responsibility of transforming to and from the PCS and not the responsibility of each individual application. But this was just my guess, which does not hold in general, as I have learned.

Hermann-Josef

I’ve found @Elle’s articles to be the most help: Articles and tutorials on Color management. Still, I have to read them multiple times to get the drift. After that, messing with the settings and seeing what happens has been the most instructive thing. Then, I wrote my own software and use the LittleCMS library to do the heavy CMS lifting, which has been very instructive, but not what most people want to take on.

It all started to gel when I purchased the XRite ColorMunki Photographer kit, which includes the puck colorimeter as well as a 24-patch ColorChecker Passport. With these, I made profiles for my camera and displays, and now my desktop lcd looks the same as my Surface tablet lcd. That exercise for me really made the whole profile chain make sense.

To get technical requires math skills at which I’m quite rusty, matrix math and such. But the concepts the math supports now make sense, mostly from watching the tools behave with both nominal and non-nominal input.

For what it’s worth…

Good morning Glenn,

yes, @Elle 's webpage is very good. It is about the same level as the book by Fraser et al. I quoted. I already had some nice insights browsing through these webpages :slight_smile: .

My interest in colour management started with the question to understand how red and green pixel can make a yellow colour. I had written image processing software for more than 30 years, albeit for astronomical images, which is quite different from the images we are now dealing with. A short introduction about how to implement colour management in Java can be found in the book by Burger and Burge (2016), which is a valuable resource for all sorts of algorithms. Unfortunately I only speak Fortran, perhaps I am too old for C++ or Java :frowning: .

Best wishes

Hermann-Josef

My first language was CoBOL.

I kept technically current by teaching; the day job didn’t afford such. As a university department chair, I learned Java when my adjunct instructor quit the first day of class; I couldn’t find anyone else to teach the class, so I did it, and had to concurrently learn and teach Java, week-by-week.

I’ve only recently learned C/C++, first to translate a Java demo of a patent, and I’ve really cut my teeth on it with this image processing thing. @floessie schooled me on the ways of C++ in writing my image library.

Programming is what I’m using to keep my mind sharp, as I turn 60 next week. Color management has proved the most challenging aspect to master, but it’s a sweet victory…

And the very best to you,
Glenn Butcher

Abends, Jossie!

I just found this info. Might it be of use to you, too?
http://www.colormunki.com/download/x-rite%20guide%20to%20color%20management.pdf

MfG
Claes in Lund, Schweden

Guten Abend Claes,

thanks for the article. I did not know it and will certainly read it carefully.

Best wishes

Hermann-Josef