[Play Raw] Processing a very high-contrast raw

DSCF3284

DSC01122.ARW.xmp (8.0 KB)

DSCF3284
I used a parametric mask in exposure to move the data to the right. Then some levels, shadows and highlights, dehaze, highpass…
DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (9.2 KB)

5 Likes

DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (23.6 KB)

1 Like

@David_LaCivita that is a wonderful, vibrant and realistic result. Could you explain what you did, in program-agnostic terms, so that users of other software can get the idea?

I made a quick video because I don’t know how to make some of the parametric masks in other software. Hopefully it helps.

12 Likes

@isagalaev I agree with @Morgan_Hardwood. It would do well as a [PlayRaw], if you are willing to consider that. See @patdavid’s post on licensing: PlayRaw stuff to keep in mind.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

1 Like

Finally logged in

+1 to that !!

I like the result in the foreground, but you introduced some “halos” at the transition to the blue sky. Visible for example around the big rock.

Thanks! Added a tag and a license. Do I need to do anything else?

2 Likes

Fixed your title to make it more obvious.

1 Like

Thank you! Personally, I would really like to also see RawTherapee edits of this photo.

Now that it is a play raw you can happily post your RT edits here.

1 Like

I’ll definitely submit my take :slight_smile:

1 Like

A truly nice image to work on (though it has its imperfections), I came up with this in DT. A few masks to operate on the darker and lighter parts, and then some color corrections. Not 100% happy with the final color, but it’s close :slight_smile:
DSCF3284_DT

DSCF3284.RAF.xmp (28.7 KB)

2 Likes

…and here it is, for what it’s worth :slight_smile:
RawTherapee (dev version) only.

DSCF3284.RAF.pp3 (13.7 KB)

4 Likes

Very interesting image to work on. I actually really had a hard time getting something close to @David_LaCivita. After some fiddling around I actually used the unorthodox way to use a hugely feathered gradient. RT only.
summer
summer.jpg.out.pp3 (12.7 KB)

6 Likes

Everything and the kitchen sink from RawTherapee.

Isagalaev_highcontrast_DSCF3284.RAF.pp3 (10.9 KB)

1 Like

thanks @isagalaev for making a playraw from a question and @Morgan_Hardwood for insisting , always fascinating such different approaches… Mine using RT it’s assumedly a bit heavy handed with the micro constrast, which creates (among other things) nasty spits of vertical dark lines… next life better =)

DSCF3284d.tif.out.pp3 (10.9 KB)

An attempt with LightZone. (Next life better.)

Custom;DSCF3284_lzn2_ustd.lzt.txt (15.6 KB)

Edit: Ups, trigger-happy with the blue sky …

5 Likes

Nice version @McCap. Sometimes I use the gradient in such a way as well. The tools are there to be used in a creative way, aren’t they!