Profile picture advice

There are quite a few A’s out there. Perhaps it is time to consider a custom profile picture. What are things that one should keep in mind when making one for this forum? E.g.,

• specs
  • what makes a good profile picture
  • what you learned from making yours

Its going to be round, as your letter avatar is. It’ll show larger on your user page.

Clear and simple, but recognizable is good.

If you’re like me, get someone else to make it for you, then use it for 10 years.

1. Avoid complexity. This favors line drawings.

2. If at all possible, draw/compose your own - your uniqueness will be reflected in your effort

3. Once you have a few, Look at candidate avatars at a number of different sizes and scales - does it play well at each?

4. Consider distributing your avatar from gravatar.com. Many sites (including this one) check gravatar for images registered under your email. Your avatar magically appears at gravatar aware sites, saving you the bother of setting up your image in each place.

On your user page and overview (when you click on someones avatar here in a post for instance), the avatar will show larger at 120x120 px. The small one you see in the topic is shown at 45x45 px.

I defer to what @paperdigits and @grosgood (side note - great to see you here Garry! Thank you x1000 for all your work with G’MIC docs and your writing!) have already said.

Don’t use pictures from your childhood. It looks childish.

Experience from another forum: Don’t use pictures of Charles Bukowski. This scares newcomers.

2 Likes

Make sure not to use closed-source programs like Microsoft Paint to draw your profile pic.

Avoid super saturated colors, it makes you stand out in a bad way.

3 Likes

I sense some humor here, @CarVac. :grin:

@Jacal The boy in your profile picture probably isn’t you but it makes your remark kind of ironic :wink:.

@floessie What are your thoughts on the matter?

Choose something recognizable, like @paperdigits said, be it a cat, a dog, or something abstract drawn with some crappy, closed source paint program in super saturated colors. Avoid single capital sans serif letters.

Best,
Flössie

@afre I’m afraid that Apollo 11 was actually on the Moon, when this slide was shot. My sister and me, somewhere on the Adriatic sea.

000002_rt

Quite off-topic, sorry.

2 Likes

As you can see, I have finally changed my profile picture. With the introduction of the dark theme, however, I may have to change it again, or at least remove the transparency. It was done quickly, so it isn’t very creative. Feedback would be appreciated. This work by @afre is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
afre_profile

I’m not sure how much we actually know about you to be able to critique an avatar, which represents you :slight_smile:

I’d fill the shape with a pattern, personally.

@paperdigits Thanks for the pointer though.