Proper install of dev builds

It seems like every time I install a dev build that it only works for a week or so. After that, when I click on the exe shortcut in the taskbar, the icon blinks and nothing happens. When I hover over the shortcut a small white empty RT window shows over the icon.

Prior to installing latest dev build I always delete the prior version. Running Win 10 20H2. Perhaps I’m not doing the installs correctly.

Well, this does not happen for me, so I am curious what is going on. At least there is nothing in the code to prevent startup after a week or something…
What do you do exactly to “install”?

Thanks. .

1. Uninstall Rt from Programs and Features in Control panel
  2. Delete RT folder from Program Files
  3. Delete RT folder from User>Appdata>Local
  4. Delete shortcut from Taskbar
  5. Reboot computer
  6. Install latest dev to default install folder since the latest dev version no longer has an option to change the default program location. Well, not on my last install, anyway.

In User>Appdata>Local your profile is saved. And you can set an environment variable so that the path is always the same

1 Like

Yes, I copy it to the desktop first before deleting the folder.

Ah, I miss the variable for the program path. That is why I always download the zip file and just unpack it to the previous path

1 Like

I see. So there really is no reason to uninstall. Just unpack the zip file to previous path.

Yes, and the the environment variables ensure, that the cache and the settings are always in the same path

1 Like

And for the relevant documentation look here File Paths - RawPedia (rawtherapee.com)

1 Like

How would I go about resolving what seems to be a conflict? I would like to eliminate the ‘RawTherapee5-dev-dev’ folder if possible.
Capture

Thanks Karl,

I figured out, I think. The ‘RawTherapee5-dev-dev’ folder is added when unpacking to the previous path. I copied all of the config settings to that folder and then deleted the RawTherapee folder in user>appdata>local. I will test for a week or so just to make sure that all is working okay. Working with the zip file seems like a better way to go as you suggested.

These paths are created as long as you do not have the environment variable RT_SETTINGS. Please read the documentation I have linked above or here File Paths - RawPedia (rawtherapee.com) then you will understand the reasons for these names. Well, the base idea is to allow having a development version in parallel to a stable version.

1 Like
**@stuntflyer   @gaaned32**

My English being too primary, I express myself in French:
J’avais le même problème ,depuis 2 ou 3 mois, avec W10 version 20H2 sur un portable Asus avec le processeur Intel i3 5005U CPU.
J’utilise maintenant , régulièrement les BUILTS de gaaned32 qui fonctionnent très bien.Il édite plusieurs versions.
Dans mon cas tous ses BUILTS “Skylake” fonctionnent très bien, (les autres non:“generic”,Znver2", Icelake_client")
Merci encore à gaaned32, son analyse et ses builts à tester…
J’utilise toujours le ZIP “Skylake”.
Dernier zip en date:
RawTherapee_filmneg_5.8-2705-g33b59ced3_W64_Skylake_201121
==> Mon protocole:
– dézipper dans un dossier.
– Ne pas installer.
– puis dans le dossier “dézippé”, clic sur ratherapee.exe
et… attendre 20 secondes puis tout fonctionne normalement. Dans mon cas il n’y a rien d’autre à faire. j’ai plusieurs builts “Skylake” installés (2632, 2652, 2705 etc…) que j’avais gardé en “roue de secours”
Gardant ces builts en archives, maintenant je les désinstalle régulièrement au fur et à mesure des nouvelles versions de gaaned32.
Remarque:
Il semble que cela, dans mon cas, provienne du processeur Intel et son architecture.
Il semblerait que le passage de i3 à i4 ayant été plus complexe que prévu,
Intel a modifié plusieurs fois l’architecture du CPU. D’ où des BUILTS différents avec les derniers W10. Il faut trouver le bon BUILT!
merci encore à toute l’ équipe.

1 Like

FWIW, here’s how I update the nightly dev on Linux.
The folder notation timing is out - apologies.

2 Likes