PSA: The forum will be bombarded with posts when the new digikam site goes live

As we close in on the launch of the new digikam site, I wanted to let people know that there will be lots of posts as we are hosting blog comments here in the same way we are for the main pixls site.

I appoligize in advance, as digikam has like 360 blog posts. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bring it on! :smiley:

Seriously, though, I’m crossing my fingers that we don’t explode things when the switch is turned on. Maybe we should ask @darix really politely to be around when we do it?

Also, as a test, we can push the master w/o the embed code everywhere first, then apply it manually to one or two posts to see what happens. I’m still not 100% sure what the result will be with the way the admin panel handles it here.

Probably not a bad idea to have @darix around :slight_smile:

If you want to do it post by post, I’d better remove the code from the template! :wink:

Just curious, is importing those 360 posts a requirement? As I remember digiKam website comments, they’re not exactly food for thought.

The legacy comments are preserved already… Its more simplicity for us. Putting the discuss comment code in the page template makes it easy, rather than doing it somewhere else.

I guess we could try and write a conditional check that would only embed comments in newer posts.

Yes, this would be a safer option, I think. At least until we get them squared away.

Their old comments are not going to come through here. At worst what we’ll see is something similar to when I fuck up a website push on pixls and the forum suddenly sees a bunch of new “posts” that are just the RSS feed giving a bogus publish date. ie: just a bunch of posts of the news item.

We’re working on mitigating this into something reasonable and non-disruptive (possibly hide the posts from the main page until we get everything imported properly).

Just bumping this topic again as traffic hits the digiKam.org news posts we’ll see the topics show up here.

I have temporarily hidden the digiKam category from showing up on the front page (Latest) view.

Once the forum renders through all of the relevant posts I’ll set it back to normal so new posts will show up in the Lastest list.

2 Likes

Wohoo, the new website is live - I didn’t even notice xD
Thanks once more @paperdigits and @patdavid for your amazing work!

2 Likes

Yeah, it just went live yesterday-ish. :slight_smile: I spent last night and today getting the comments embedding correctly and being able to style them.

Fun side note: fixing that resulted in an enhancement being pushed upstream to discourse.

[edit]: Also - the credit goes to @paperdigits for the initiative, getting it going, and making it work.

1 Like

Thanks @patdavid for all your hard work! Now the website is almost as awesome as the program itself!

1 Like