Purply-blue green. Bluebells in the Grass play raw

I was out for a stroll today around a local woodland, with the aim of taking some photos of the bluebells.

I guess I must be out of practice with darktable editing, as for the life of me I can’t get a “realistic” looking image. Either the bluebell looks a weird purpely blue colour, or the grass looks an odd shade of green… I guess I’m still scratching my head over filmic as well…

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

IMG_9562.CR2 (26.0 MB)
IMG_9562.CR2.xmp (5.3 KB)

1 Like

This is what I get with my standard-workflow. Didn’t mess around with the colors, I usually take what DT gives me.

DT 3.8.1

IMG_9562.CR2.xmp (9.0 KB)

1 Like

Good evening, Brian!

Well, isn’t grass supposed to be green-ish?
How about this interpretation?

IMG_9562.CR2.xmp (8.9 KB)

Nice little web-spider you caught as well :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

An excellent edit, thank you @apostel338 ! To me that looks like what I saw in front of me. Looking at the modules used, that’s quite a complicated mix of tone equalizer, contrast equalizer and color balance rgb ,with masking! I wish I knew how to do such edits effectively, rather than applying modules at random and hoping for the best…

Nice crop! Believe it or not, that was shot using my “walk around” Canon 18-135mm kit lens, rather than a dedicated macro lens. yes, I was quite pleased to see Mr Spider.

With a little practice you will get into it. Over the time I found my default pipeline which I always use. The only addition in this edit was the second contrast equalizer masked to dark tones to get a little more contrast especially for the background. (There are a lot of other modules I could have used for that purpose too)
All others are my default and I often only make adjustments in tone eq for controlling highlights and shadows, color balance rgb for doing saturation stuff and filmic rgb for global contrast. (Optical corrections of course, if needed)

So you see, with a - for me - good working starting point I never have to do anything from scratch.

This is my default:
defIMG_9562.CR2.xmp (9.0 KB)

I just should point out that in most cases I use local contrast before filmic rgb, which is unintended and blasphemous. You should be aware that sometimes it could act problematically at this position.

I’m going to bed. It’s two o’clock already. At least outside the window.)

IMG_9562.CR2.xmp (12.6 KB)

IMG_9562_01.CR2.xmp (12.2 KB)

IMG_9562.CR2.xmp (19.4 KB)

1 Like

Wow, I like the bow.