Raindrops on a white flower; Some pointers would be nice.

I shot this one this morning during some rain showers and I cannot seem to get it the way I want to.

It’s either too sharp, which makes it unnatural looking or too dark and a lot of the detail disappears. I don’t mind it being softer looking, but that also seems to soften the raindrops.

I know that the shot isn’t perfect, but thought it to be a nice exercise, which turns out to become a bit frustrating (still having fun though).

Anybody wants to have a go at this one and, if no darktable xmp is provided, tell what your secret ingredient is?

Sidecar: raindrops.on.flower.xmp (9.0 KB) darktable 3.0.2
RAW: raindrops.on.flower.nef (28.9 MB)
License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

EDIT: If this is an at-the-time-it-was-shot issue, please tell me!

6 Likes

Avonds!

W-e-l-l… it depends on how romantic you would like it. Here is one interpretation:

raindrops.on.flower.nef.xmp (10.8 KB)

Mvg
Claes in Lund, Zweden

I’ve opted for the unnatural look
raindrops.on.flower.nef.xmp (7.8 KB)

1 Like

A lack of sharpness has lots to do with the lack of focus on the front of the subject, where the most area of subject is, and also, there is some camera shake/ motion blur. 1/50th of a second is kind of slow for 105mm. Given the relatively high iso, it looks like you either need to shoot this on a tripod, or add more light, or use flash. Nonetheless, I went for a high key look with modest sharpening and wavelet contrast enhancement as well as a warmer white balance to get a smoother buttery golden look. Edited in Rawtherapee, so the sidechain file is a .pp3, not an .xmp file.

raindrops.on.flower_demo.pp3 (12.4 KB)

1 Like

It’s a shame you only want darktable edits :laughing:

1 Like

Just go ahead and post Rawtherapee edits if you feel like it, so your knowledge and editing ideas could be useful to onlookers who prefer Rawtherapee, as the audience is greater than just OP.

That was my reasoning in brazenly posting a Rawtherapee edit.

1 Like

raindrops.on.flower.nef.xmp (6.9 KB) raindrops.on.flower_01.nef.xmp (8.8 KB)
Difficult! The droplets on the bottom start to look like swiss cheese compared to the ones up top. I tried to even them out but not terribly well. Still fun though!

It is a Play Raw. There are no constraints to the processing as long as it is FLOSS and we are being respectful to one another. :wink:

1 Like

First of all: I would never ask the community to limit the edits to, in this case, just darktable, this being Play Raw and all.

Let me clarify why I mentioned xmp-s: Those I can dissect myself and don’t necessarily need any further explanation. Edits made with FOSS other then darktable I cannot approach in this way. Hence my request to add some context if a non xmp version was presented. Waveluke’s contribution is a great example of this (Thanks!).

Those two quotes are absolutely correct. Post your edits!

In this case I asked for some feedback on how to improve my shot/edit, but I always enjoy or respect the edits that are contributed, no matter the quality, program(s) used or specific question that might be asked.

Anyway: Thanks for the contributions thus far.

1 Like

Well, let’s go brazenly then! :wink:

I wanted a B&W High-Key look, and ended up with this:

raindrops.on.flower.png.out.pp3 (12.6 KB)
RT5.8dev (commit 49c4d0a27)
and then some GIMP to remove bunnies

When you have a soft shot like this, it’s always a good idea donwsizing it a lot, so it looks much sharper. Not the same as a perfect shot, but at least you have a nice result.

raindrops.on.flower.nef.xmp (9.5 KB)

I basically only increased local contrast and added sharpness and reduced noise

5 Likes

Bunnies???
Are you talking about dust spots?

Yes. That’s it

And another take. This time with more contrast and details:

raindrops.on.flower-1.png.out.pp3 (12.7 KB)
RT5.8dev (commit 49c4d0a27) + GIMP

I just had a look at your xmp and the way you used (a double set of) the contrast equalizer. It is exactly what I’ve seem to have been struggling with. I think the local contrast is a bit on the strong side, which is just personal taste, nothing more or less. I’d attenuate it to 225% and 0.350.

Very happy with your contrast equalizer settings, something to keep in mind. Thanks!

1 Like

sharpen strong.dtstyle (919 Bytes)

I created a style for dt with my equalizer settings, it should work with git master

Probably it should be combined with denoising

Not easy. Actually I like @Jade_NL version a lot. But I tried to do something different.

raindrops.on.flower.nef.xmp (8.6 KB)

2 Likes

Photoflow:

raindrops.on.flower.pfi (24.4 KB)

Colour Correction + Local Contrast + Sharpen.

4 Likes

And now after a visit to the Negadoctor

1 Like

I tried to keep it light (as in illuminance), and threw a whole load of dt modules at it in the end. Good fun though.

raindrops.on.flower.nef.xmp (10.2 KB)

4 Likes