Rapid Photo Downloader 0.9.0a6 is released

The release is very simple: I modified the installation script to fix installation problems on Fedora 25 and LinuxMint 18. In all other respects the release is identical to version 0.9.0a5.

Download it at http://damonlynch.net/rapid/download.html

As an aside, it’s currently a pain to get Fedora 25 to work as a well-behaved guest in Virtualbox!

2 Likes

@damonlynch I’m testing out version 0.9.0a6 on Xubuntu 16.04. Install script works fine, and the program is put into ~/bin. But somehow this is not being updated in the system path, so the program launcher fails, as well as trying to call it from the CL. It’s easy to fix since the command ~/bin/rapid-photo-downloader works fine to launch the program from the CL. I can manually update the launcher to run that command, and then it works, but I thought you might want to know that by default this seems to be broken. Giving the rest of it a test now, and will report back with any issues… Thanks for making the update!

You need to log out and log in again. Then it will work. The installation script also mentions that requirement. That’s how it works in Debian, if you don’t already have a ~/bin directory.

Yes, I did that. Even tried restarting completely. I also uninstalled and reinstalled and tried again. Still doesn’t work…

Oh, and I should also mention that I did have a ~/bin directory already, with some other python software installed there and working…

Also, I guess I should have said as well that other than the executable PATH issue, the program is working like a charm! :smile: Currently backing up several SD cards to an external Seagate USB hard drive, and it’s proceeding very quickly and without any issues!

hi @damonlynch, really cool program!

just installed in a new machine and was surprised that the version of archlinux is at 0.4.11. (already flagged it so hopefully it will be updated soon.)

cheers :slight_smile:

I can’t replicate that in Xubuntu 16.04, or in any of the Ubuntu flavours. Maybe you have an older version of the program installed somewhere on your path?

Someone on Arch has packaged the 0.9 series. In fact they take the code directly from launchpad, rather than from the tarball releases (which is extremely bleeding edge and to be honest it surprised me). The code on launchpad between releases is not necessarily meant to be stable all the time.

I did have the older version installed via the PPA. I uninstalled it via apt, but I don’t think I purged the config files, and I also don’t think I removed the PPA from etc/apt/conf.d/sources.list. I’ll give that a try and see what happens. Thanks for checking on this!

The official distro package is outdated, the one you are talking about it from the AUR (user submitted repo) and it builds from launchpad indeed. I’ll wait for the official package. :slight_smile:

Thanks

Hmm… Did a purge and autoclean of apt, but didn’t do anything. Then I noticed that my $PATH didn’t include ~/bin, so I added it, and it works fine now. Thanks!