Rapid Photo Downloader 0.9a5 is released

http://damonlynch.net/rapid/download.html

Changes (most important changes in bold):

• Implemented photo and video file renaming preference configuration. Job code
    configuration will be implemented in a future alpha release.

• Fixed crash when running on PyQt 5.7.

• Added option to uninstall previous version of the program if running the
    install script on Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora like Linux distributions.

• Added .m2ts video extension to supported video files.

• Added tooltip to clarify meaning of storage space usage.

• Added g++ to list of installation dependencies when installing on Debian derived
    distributions.

• Only enable right-click menu option ‘Open in File Browser…’ when default file
    manager is known.

• Handle use case where the path from which to download is passed on the command line
    without a command line switch, such as when Gnome launches the program in response
    to a device like a memory card containing photos being inserted.

• Fixed bug where volumes where not correctly added to device white and blacklists.

• Fixed bug where download conflict resolution preference value was being incorrectly
    set when importing preferences from version 0.4.11 or earlier.

• Fixed bug where generating thumbnails for backed up files caused the backup process
    to crash.

• Fixed crash where the library libmediainfo is not installed but the python package
    pymediainfo is.

• Fixed generation of error message when there is an error copying file to a backup
    destination.

• Fixed crash at startup bug when the Pictures or Videos XDG special directory was
    not set.

• Fixed bug when selecting custom subfolder name generation preset from menu.

• Fixed bug where ExifTool daemon processes were not always being terminated.

• Added minimum size in bytes to read a variety of RAW and video metadata tags to
    analyze-pv-structure analysis.

• Fixed bug where QFileSystemWatcher.removePaths() could be called with an empty
    directory list.

• Fixed crash when cleaning generated video subfolder previews at program exit.

• Updated Spanish translation, courtesy of Jose Luis Tirado. Also updated Catalan,
    Chinese, Croatian, Czech, French, German, Polish and Serbian translations.

4 Likes

Just installed it and looking really good, must do a proper test drive with a proper import as soon as I can.

I just installed the new release. Nice progress. The file naming configuration lets me set up exactly what I want for file names. This is definitely becoming my download app of choice.

One thing I would like to see in a future release is the ability to set the download destination and then disable changing it via clicking in the destination directory tree. For example, I download to ~/Pictures, and allow RPD to build the subdirectories based on the configuration I set up. That works very well. If I happen to have poked around the directory list to see what is already there (which, let’s admit, is pretty tempting since it’s sitting right there begging to be poked at), then the subdirectory that happens to be selected gets a new subdirectory tree built under it instead of ~/Pictures. This isn’t a defect, but providing a means to “lock in” a destination would be a nice idiot-proofing feature.

One way to provide such functionality is to provide a right-click option on the directory tree in the Destinations panel which allows the option of opening the system file browser (e.g. Gnome Files, Dolphin, etc.) at the directory that was right-clicked. That way the existing destination folder doesn’t change, and you can check out what is already on your file system using a proper file browsing application. Using a proper file browser has the advantage of showing files too. Currently right-clicking in the directory tree in the Destination panel is the same as left-clicking, but it doesn’t have to be like that.

That would work nicely. Actually, getting at a file manager with a right click is one of the first things I looked for when I first tried out RPD.