Raspberry Pi Is Now Selling a 12-Megapixel Camera for Only $50

Interesting

7 Likes

Could make for some cool and cheap time lapse cameras. Can it shoot into raw? Is there any prebaked software for it?

I just came from reading this article, but, as long as my rasp pi knowledge goes, I’d say yes, depending just in the way you set up your motherboard. (I’m assuming this device doesn’t come with an embedded processor, and that it will need to be pluged into a rasp pi motherboard, where you would install the image processing software). But I may be wrong.
EDIT: Ithink I’m wrong. See this:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/camera/

Sounds very promising to me. I would like to see a full-frame or APS-C sensor on that plate :wink:

Built in a small case with a LCD and controlled with an open-source OS it could be a best-seller imho.

I think that a platform like this would had much developer’s support, just look at magic lantern for Canon or open memories for SONY.

New camera features could be implemented easily and I bet there wouldn’t be any hassle for RAW-developers to support it’s RAW format.

And maybe it would be the first camera with a RAW-histogram… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7 Likes

“supports interchangeable C- and CS-mount lenses”

Any details on that mount?

Too bad our currency is sooo weak against the dollar now. Added to wishlist.

It’s a mount typically used for technical applications such as CCTV cameras, apparently.

1 Like

You can get lots of cheap and technical lenses, SW-IR would be interesting to try. Would probably need to remove the modules IR/UV cut filter (I wonder if they will do a full spectrum version, and please, a de-bayer version too!). And since manufacturing is most likely same, Sony has the same sensor also as Astro version.

A “Camera Guide” PDF is available at Raspberry Pi Camera Guide — The MagPi magazine

Some highlights:

• Up to 4056x3040 pixels. Up to 10 fps at that resolution.
  • ISO 100 to 800.
  • JPEG or lossless PNG
  • Available without the infrared filter.
  • Can record YUV420 or RGB 8 bits/channel. I assume this is demosaiced pixels. Can we get raw mosaiced data? “–raw Adds raw Bayer data to JPEG metadata”, whatever that means.

Even with the cost of motherboard, lens and power supply, we get a fairly cheap camera that is very controllable at low levels.

1 Like

Here is the complete documentation of the picture taking utility: Raspberry Pi Camera Module - Raspberry Pi Documentation

It looks like you have a choice of variously processed demosaiced image formats, as well as true RAW capture with manual ISO and shutter speed.

the fact that it has the option of coming without the infrared filter alone makes this worth investing in. that being said, I wish it was available in sony and other mount options as well… oh well… adaptors it is…

Is it available without the infrared filter? I can’t find any reference to this outside of this forum. Does anyone have any further information on this?

My memory says that that special model is called Noir :slight_smile:
(that is no-IR, not black in French). I have a link somewhere.
I’ll be back. … Here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-noir-camera-v2/

1 Like

That’s my understanding, but that’s not the same 12-megapixel camera. That’s the old 8-megapixel fixed focus one.

1 Like

Hm… At least they have DIY instructions
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/camera/hqcam_filter_removal.md

2 Likes

ah that’s a pity, but maybe if this works out we can see wider options on next version (also 50$ camera, while not cheap, feels not scary enough to actually do that DYI with)

More than you get for most cameras, and as @eylul says, not nearly so scary as doing it with a DSLR or compact camera. I only did my first diy conversion (on a Panasonic compact camera) because I had to disassemble the camera anyway to clean the sensor.

1 Like

People are already tinkering with the raw file.

2 Likes

I am approaching the HQ camera module from the other side: as an experimental camera.

So far, I have a working touch-based user interface with live view, an alternative physical user interface with two encoders for ISO and shutter speed, and a shutter button. And a (rough) 3D-printed case.

Signal processing is next.

6 Likes

Nice! Paint it black and it starts to look like a Leica… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes