[PlayRaw] RAW Challenge: Backlit

That would be this profile then: https://29a.ch/tmp/a6000_darktable.icc
I don’t remember how I created it so just take it for what it is: a random profile. :slight_smile:

My take - Darktable 2.0.4

That’s a rather nice profile (at least it is much better than the standard matrix or those converted from Adobe DCPs). Thanks for sharing it. :slight_smile:

I’ve been using the Rec2020 as input color profile for the A6000. It is not perfect and nowhere close to being accurate, but it gives a really awesome rendering to the image that is pleasing to my eyes.

Finally, as a bonus, here is my dog trying to be awesome:

9 Likes

Processed with Rawtherapee GIMP and G’MIC. In Rawtherapee, I was perhaps a little bit too enthousiast with the wavelets:

Hi folks, here is my quick take. Processed only in RT :slight_smile:pieseł.pp3 (11.0 KB)

HL recovery in the sun looks a bit odd. Perhaps try “Color propagation” instead of “Blend”?

yeah, you are right, I was just to quick about it.All I wanted to do, was to try different approach - using exposure and then dialing it back with the vignette reduction tool… :slight_smile: You are welcome to give it a try using this pp3

Thanks for the profile, now the colours look the same and I can start to learn from your xmp. And now I understand as well why you took the image out of darktable for sharpening, all my attempts to use the sharpen module to get similar results in darktable results in halos.

I like this dog!
Thank @PkmX for sharing the raw.
Here is my darktable developed image.

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (9.2 KB)

Here is my version. Edited in GIMP with some layer and applied G’MIC filter.

Done (rather quickly actually) in Darkroom

(also first post I believe)

1 Like

I could not resist giving a try with this cute dog!

Processed with photoflow:

• raised brightness through an inverse luminosity mask that selects the dark areas - mask blurred with g’mic bilateral filter to preserve micro-contrast
  • added a velvia 50 film look with g’mic
  • increased saturation a bit
  • added some bilateral-blur based local contrast enhancement
  • an additional RGB curve to tune the global contrast
  • added a sort-of flare effect using a uniform light yellow layer associated with a radial mask entered on the setting sun and vanishing rather quickly near the dog’s head
  • a touch of RL sharpening

Here is the final result:

The corresponding PhotoFlow .pfi file is here.

I still would like to improve the noise reduction and some of the masking, so I’ll most likely post a second version at some point…

@PkmX thanks for sharing this beautiful image, it was really fun to play with it!

2 Likes

@arctic Very nice. Yours looks a lot like @Jonas_Wagner’s version, but with much better tonality in the sky!

@dutch_wolf Welcome! Very nice job on highlight recovery around the sun.

@Carmelo_DrRaw This version is already pretty good, and I think it really shows the processing capabilities of photoflow. From what I read, it also integrates well with GIMP/G’MIC and has lmmse demoasicing, which are something that darktable lack currently.

I tried to bring out a bit more details in the sky as well as the sun rays:

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (13.4 KB)

6 Likes

@PkmX I really like your second image, it look really natural, which is not something obvious when dealing with such “extreme” edits… I’ll certainly play a little more with your RAW as son as I manage :wink:

A shot with RawTherapee and wavelets. Not sure the colors are good as the sun outside is strong and I can barely see anything on screen.

DSC02168.jpg.out.pp3 (10.7 KB)

1 Like

a bit late to the game, here is my take:

The image has been worked in RawTherapee twice, once for the sky and once for the bottom.
After this it has been worked in gimp using various techniques but without cloning or something, just layers and masks.
Working in this way is both faster and preserve the original idea of photo from the author.

pp3 usable in rawtherapee

there is also a 62MB gimp file, please download only if interested https://foto.f1r.eu/tmpDSC02168-01.xcf

and a full size image (the xcf file has been reduced to 2000px for download) https://foto.f1r.eu/tmp/DSC02168-big.jpg

Software versions:
GIMP 2.9.3 commit 3618df0
RawTherapee, version 4.2.1064

Your file host says the jpeg can’t be displayed because the file contains errors. You are free to upload and host the jpeg file here on the forum.

thank you @paperdigits, I was not allowed to upload since this is my first post, now it seem to work

Ah, I see. Welcome @vivo!

@PkmX Which version of darktable have you used? I have tried to apply your xmp using 2.0.4, but I get some tool version mismatches and the colors are no really right…

Thanks!