A wish list for a raw histogram: (exposure, sweet exposure)
- X-axis = linear exposure values (EV) (e.g. -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5)
- set the EV0 value by clicking on a point (a grey card?) in the preview window
- leave some breathing room to both left and right to better view clipped shadows/highlights
- move over the preview to show the correspondent x-axis value, to evaluate the relation between the image object/subject and its exposure
- keep in mind we are talking about raw, so any preview should be blocked to a ‘neutral’ working profile just for mouse positioning and image parts recognition
- keep in mind we are talking about raw, so any exposure value (x-axis) should come directly from the a/d converter for each photosite (e.g. 0-4096)
This should be a good starting point for a deliberate and informed post-production.