Raw Samples Wanted

Thanks, but there already is a full sample set for Panasonic GH5 / GH5s

Just added a Fujifilm Finepix S6500fd; let me know if you need more or better.
Many thanks.

1 Like

Hmm, the DC-GH5S sample was uploaded at the same time, by any chance, did it originate from you, too? Or maybe someone else reading this happens to have that camera.

Flashback: that camera supposedly writes 14bit and 12bit raws, but the sample set that exists on RPU, even the supposedly-12bit raws, internally they are all 14bit raws.

I wonder if that has been fixed in newer firmwares, and maybe now the camera writes different raws?
You can’t really tell that from EXIF, but you could add writeLog(DEBUG_PRIO_EXTRA, "PanasonicDecompressorV5: bpp: %u", unsigned(bpp));
here:

If that does print both 12 and 14 nowadays, it would be great to get a replacement full sample set for RPU (8 raws, {12bit,14bit} x {4:3, 3:2, 16:9, 1:1}).

I can’t help you with this, I have 0 knowledge about this stuff and not the time to dive in. I can get you photo samples of the GH5 but that’s it. Sorry…

1 Like

Do you have or need Canon EOS RP CR3 files? They are different from the M50 and EOS R RAW images.

Mal

1 Like

@malmedia Welcome to the forum! There are already 8 entries for RP. Search: raw.pixls.us. If and only if there should be more, then you would need to make a full sample set, according to the instructions and check off all of the boxes to submit them.

1 Like

Indeed, @afre is correct. I believe there currently is already a full sample set for that camera.

Thanks @afre and @LebedevRI. I swore I searched that list for “RP” and it was not there, but now I see them. Maybe I just searched for “CR3”.

Is there any sort of ballpark time frame for when it might be supported? Or a way to be notified when it is?

https://github.com/darktable-org/rawspeed/issues/121#issuecomment-483166850
https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/5319

I’m planing on buying Nikon Coolpix A1000 it’s not on the list of missing raw files, but it’s also not on list of supported cameras. According to spec it support raw files (NRW).

Will upload samples when will got the camera.

2 Likes

Hi.
I’ve just uploaded two mobile dng’s (moto g7) to rpu (and also opened a ticket on dt issue tracker), but they don’t show in the repo.
Have I missed something?

1 Like

They have to be approved first.

1 Like

And if they don’t, will I know the reason? How?

Usually the reason is the sample already exists. It is mostly @LebedevRI or @andabata who does the rejecting. They can let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I am fairly certain that this happened without someone looking very closely at the data or the comments on the data when submitted.

The Google Pixel 4 XL has not one but two separate camera modules. As a result, the resolution of the DNG changes with zoom setting (the camera switches to the telephoto module at around 1.8x). Of the two samples I submitted, only the telephoto example got published. I can see this being assumed as coming from the same sensor for an ILC - but on a phone if you see different focal lengths and apertures that’s a strong hint it’s a multi-module phone.

The original two samples should also be flagged as DNGs with broken color profile metadata (newer versions of the Google Camera app save a proper color profile) - this may not be super-important other than as a potential warning to developers that some broken DNGs may exist out there. (Fortunately, the app which saved broken metadata was in the public’s hands for approximately a day - I think what happened is that Google planned on having a day-0 app upgrade, but devices shipped out a day earlier than planned, so people like myself wound up running software that was likely never intended to be in an end-users’ hands.)

1 Like

Thank you for the contribution, reviewed!

1 Like

Is there any advice what to submit from smartphones in general? For dedicated cameras it is usually easy to find out what different “modes” of raw files exist (s-raw, dual-pixel-raw, …), but with smartphones there may be many parameters that impact how the raw data is saved. Plus, it’s typically dng such that basic support is given anyway. So I wonder if I should submit samples at all, and if I should, for which different camera settings and with which camera app (if this changes how raw data is saved to dng).

1 Like

Which app DOES affect things.

Google’s own camera app puts DNGs through a burst-stacking align-and-merge algorithm. I don’t think the HAL itself returns the stacked align-and-merge result, so I believe that third party apps will provide the results of a single shot.

That said, it could be that on Pixels, the HAL2 API actually returns an align-and-merge stack to anything that asks for a DNG… It’s kind of not clear.

There are definitely a lot of variables in phone-sourced DNGs, some of which cause piles of questions to be asked by people handling the data downstream.

In the past I’ve generally avoided dealing with this, but a recent vacation was to Disney World Resort and even an APS-C camera with a slow lens seemed like too much to lug around. (Even my mostly empty backpack didn’t always fit into the “please place your stuff here” cubby on some rides.)

I have an EOS 90D. Are there any files requested?
I would be glad if I can help here.

1 Like

We already have a full set of canon eos 90DD. Nothing is needed right now.
Thanks for the offer.

2 Likes