RawPedia feedback

And if that ungoogled Chromium doesn’t solve the Windows-Chrome problem, try this fix

I see no difference between them:

ClearType is enabled. I’ll check if disabling 2D acceleration in Chrome fixes something, but again, the rest of the sites I usually read look just fine. Only rawpedia looks ‘not as good’

Ok. Thanks for trying it out.

I’m looking at the problem from another point of view (although in my systems I see no problem, so I rely in your testing).

According to this post in Stack Overflow, it seems that there’s a problem with the Fira Sans font downloaded from Google fonts, and I have downloaded it from the suggested original source. There are obvious differences between them, but I don’t know if that will solve the problem.

The new Fira Sans version is already online, so can you check how does it look now?

If that doesn’t work either, I will check if Open Sans doesn’t break the skin, and if it doesn’t I will make a definitive change.

And as it seems that it doesn’t break anything and it still looks good, I’m going to:

• update the code snippets styling
  • decrease the font size 1px and increase the line height for larger resolutions (there will be no change for small screens)

Stay tuned, and keep sending feedback! :smiley:

1 Like

It looks fine now. The font rendering is more or less the same as for the other sites (i.e. pixls).

1 Like

Sorry for the sharper than intended poke. Hard month and a no-sleep week can do that. The tone was supposed to be positive:

It was constructive but lacked in specifics. Ran out of time to do that but the others have done so splendidly and I concur with most of it. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

:smiley: Well, that’s a relief! Thanks for your help! :+1::+1:

1 Like

I think most of the suggestions should be working now in the live website.

The code typeface has been switched by a (hopefully) better one.

We haven’t yet an Eek link, and I’m afraid we won’t have a table of contents on-screen all the time. But as @afre said, I keep working on polishing the skin. :wink:

@sguyader: as I thought, the Tools group on the sidebar can’t be moved to the footer area, nor can be positioned on the bottom part of the sidebar without editing php files. What can be done is placing it below the other groups, if that helps:

sidebar

If there are any other suggestions, or even if those changes recently made are not good enough, you’re welcome to point them out here. :slight_smile:

Hi, positioning the Tools group below the others is actually what I meant. That’s good now.

I like the new look but the change has ruined the formatting of the PDF you get when you click “Download a Book.” The PDF version is handy when you’re offline.

Great!

I will upload the changes ASAP :smiley:

Yes. The PDF version will have to wait a bit more, as I wish to create a better formatting, with headers, footers, page numbers, and so on, if possible. Needless to say that current implementations of printed page formatting on browsers is at the very least poor, if present at all. So I will need to be creative with this problem.

Bear with me, please.

Some good news! :smiley:

These are the most recent updates to Rawpedia skin:

• the Sidebar is now fixed for browsers opened full screen on Full HD displays: when the screen gets smaller, the old scrolling sidebar takes place
  • the Sidebar has now some new and useful links (including the Eek page link, @elGordo) :wink:
  • the Tools links are now the latest links in the Sidebar (@sguyader)

Sadly, the PDF book hasn’t been sorted out, yet. Working on it.

If you find something odd, don’t hesitate to tell it to me.

PS. @patdavid: many thanks for your help :wink:

6 Likes

I’m getting a 500 internal server error when trying to access Rawpedia today. Anyone else?

Edit: it’s back up again, thanks!

Same here. It worked a few hours ago, though, so maybe the server is down.

Only advice: wait until tomorrow. Most probably it will work then.

I’ve sent a message to @patdavid about it. Thank you for your patients.

After tweaking it a lot, the pdf version is now at least readable.

There are yet quite a few things to fix, but most of them involve editing the documentation itself, so it will be done slowly, as RawPedia gets updated.

Hope it’s useful.

2 Likes