RawPedia - "How to get Nikon ICM profiles from NX2"

I would like to reproduce your procedure! Is the folder/path that you metioned " %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp" ?

I found some in a temp directory in AppData…they have long names…there are 4 or 5 and one called linear…

I just installed the latest Nikon software and loaded an NEF file…then went looking while it was open in the software…

Okidoki. I tested some stuff and I got it working with D7500 and D850, it does not work with Z6 and Z50. There might be a pattern in this.

D: :grin:, Z: :worried:

Confirmed here on Z7 and Z50.

Most probably Nikon is embedding their profiles inside the camera hardware, somewhere. So no need for Capture NX-D and others to generate them.

I think it’s time now to create your own icc profiles.

Now, THAT would be a sea-change in metadata. There are a lot of Makernote tags in Z-NEFs that exiftool can’t (yet) decode; we already know about lens corrections, but a color matrix would also be plausible…

Or another possibility, if metadata is not the key, is that Capture NX-D and others simply have those ICC profiles hardcoded and don’t create them on the fly anymore.

Just to prevent us from using their profiles…

2 Likes

NX studio works well here. It does delete icm on exit as it should.

But Capture NX-d has more icm files.

On W10, I do that to extract profiles from AdobeDNGconverter installer:

/d/PROGRAMMES/TOOLS/innoextract/innoextract.exe '/d/profiles/AdobeDNGConverter_x64_15_0.exe' -d /d/profiles/ADC

In ADC, I get all the extracted files. I just copy the DCPs in the desired place.

1 Like