RawTherapee 5.1 - Thumbs up! and file browser quality

Important things first: RawTherapee rocks!!!
Yes, I did use Lightroom extensively – but I am happy to get back to RawTherapee. Especially the Dynamic Profile Rules are suche a win and made me switch.

The only downside for me is the image quality in the File Browser. I just can not manage to get nice thumbnails from my processed raw files. I need to review easily and quickly what images are to keep and process and which ones are to trash. A grainy and low quality preview is misleading here.

It seems that thumbnails of unprocessed raw files are better. I can guess, these are the original jpgs embeded into the raw files?

I went to the preferences and set up the max image height. I can view larger thumbnails now - quality stays low.

Any suggestions how to fix that?

Thanks a lot!
Stephna

By the way: I am using RawTherapee 5.1.0 on a Mac 10.11

What does “low quality” mean?

I am looking at different images now, they seem totally fine.

Other thumbnails are somewhat grainy. Kind of harsh. Maybe a little too much contranst and saturated.

Umm, I think I need to look into it a little more. It seems that images with lots of highlights tend to have that issue.

It’s a guessing game unless you show screenshots of what you see and what you expect to see.

Having said that, the thumbnails are not 100% accurate representations of the images, as some tools are skipped when generating thumbnails for speed reasons.

Totally, I think - I just had some badly processed images here :wink:

Now, as I am playing around with it, I do not really have that issue. I will post a screenshot when I am experiencing that issue again. But I think, it was just some weird color bending or procecing on my side…

This was more about shouting out, how happy I am about using RawTherapee again!

Okay, I got some screenshots. Firstly, the thumbnail of the unprocessed image:

Then, I went to process the image quickly. I changed the white balance, some curves and added noise reduction. By doing that, the thumbnail gets recreated as needed:

In comparison to the original thumb, I see more grain in the darker areas and some color gradients in the lighter areas.

I am aware, this might be a littly picky. There are some photos that are worse – most photos are better. I just want to understand, what is going on here, maybe I can change some settings to get better quality thumbs? I am fully aware, that this is due to better performance and speed.

First, see this: Editor - RawPedia

Noise reduction is one of the things skipped when generating the thumbnail.

1 Like

Oh! I see. Thanks for pointing this out.
Cheers.