RawTherapee 5.4 released!

We estimated that the Batch Editor panel could be confusing for newcomers, that should try to double click on a thumbnail instead of starting using the Batch Editor, which is more complex to use than a Standar Editor (tab).

1 Like

RawTherapee poor Ergonomics or a bug, W10 RT seem frozen, But it’s not

1. Click move to trash on a couple thumbnails
  2. Click Show contents of trash
  3. Click Permanently delete contents from trash

Next, accidentally hover over something on the RT screen; For example the filepath, or just hover over one of the thumbnails.

Bang, RT is frozen!! Well it’s not actually frozen. It just seems that way. None of the buttons work. You can’t minimize the RT window. You can’t stop RT.

It’s not frozen. The popup (File delete confirmation) window is just hidden behind the RT window and it is not intuitively easy to recover from this. Also since the color of the popup (File delete confirmation) window is pretty much the same as the rest of the RT-theme colors a newbie may not notice it in the first place.

Here’s what happens after accidentally hovering over the filepath box. The File delete confirmation box is gone (hidden behind RT) and RT will seem locked;
c3

Cannot reproduce in Linux.

The dialog is modal:

https://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm/stable/classGtk_1_1MessageDialog.html#af75d4e69f0b2cfee295e30b4c750a083

Cannot reproduce on Win7/64

Seems its a GTK+ bug:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=784766

Yes, now I can reproduce on Win7/64. Hovering over something which has a tooltip makes it reproducible.

Confirmed. However, it seems to be a standard behaviour. The way to get out of it is to hover the mouse over the RT logo (color wheel) in the TASK BAR and you will see two windows, click on the file delete window to bring it forward.

This same behaviour is observed even in GIMP when you want to export a file and then go back to the main window. The export window seems hidden. By hovering over the program logo in the task bar, you can shift back to the small export as window.

Alt-tab twice also worked here

Keep in mind that once you update RT with a new cache directory (e.g. “RawTherapee5.4”), RT has to extract the thumbnails and data out of the image again. This is indeed very slow and annoying so you’d better move the “cache” sub-folder to the new location after install, then start RT. It will find its child again without any lag.

Forget this if the cache folder has the same name over different version.

Btw, if you move a complete directory on your HDD from your OS instead of doing it from RT, the thumbnail will have to be recreated again too, since the filename of the thumbs include an MD5 of the full path of the image, so it can handle several files with identical filename, but not at same location.

Hi’ Morgan_Hardwood

Great news! It will be very interesting to test the new facilities.

I have just downloaded RT 5.4, the Windows 10 version, and 5.3 is also installed.

In 5.3 there is a default profile for raw photos as part of the bundled profiles, this is missing in 5.4. Where do I find the profiles mentioned in the release notes: “New default processing profiles, now the default look for raw photos closely matches the out-of-camera look with regard to tones and includes lens distortion and vignetting correction”.

1 Like

The old default profile is deleted, the new default will be automatically set the first time you run 5.4.

Hi’

Thank you for a quick response.

I use dynamic profiles in 5.3. When I ran 5.4 for the first time RT just copied the 5.3 settings, so no default profile was created automatically. Should I manually select one of the new auto-matched-curves each time I open a raw photo?

Set your default profile for raw photos to Auto-Matched Curve - ISO Low.pp3. Adopt dynamic profiles accordingly.

Hello there!
I’m new on this forum, please excuse me if I ask something what is already asked. I didn’t find anything about my problem. I used rawtherapee 5.3 on linux and few days ago it’s upgraded to 5.4. Raw images from my camera are about 15 mb, and after editing in 5.3 they was about 10mb, but now, after editing in 5.4 they are about only 2.5 mb. For an image over 4000 px it’s too little. I’m afraid that this reduction is not without loss in quality. What are your experiences? Are there any adjustments? I’m pretty new to using the rawtherapee, but so far I’ve been overwhelmed.

Hi @dekao, and welcome to the forum!
Can you give us a bit more info? Are you exporting to JPG? Are you using the same settings (quality and subsampling) that you were using with 5.3? Can you share an example? Thanks!

Hi @agriggio!
Yes, I export to jpg. I did not touch the settings, unless they were automatically changed at the upgrade.

IIRC there was a change in the default compression for JPEG files that went in 5.4, so this might not be a problem. You need to share some example to make sure though

1 Like

@dekao the change in compression involved TIFF and PNG, not JPEG.
How did you export to JPG? You didn’t “Fast Export” by any chance, did you?
Show screenshots or even better, a video recording.
But first see Getting Started - RawPedia