Rawtherapee 5.9 minor problems with setup [solved]

I just built 5.9, very happy that this is finally released. Everything is looking great with two minor exceptions that I can’t figure out:

• I’ve edited the Options file in the same folder as the Rawtherapee executable to add a [GUI] section and a Favorites= entry. But no Favorites tab ever appears. I even directly copied a Favorites entry from RawPedia and that doesn’t work. Is it possible it’s looking at a different options file in another folder? Does the [GUI] section have to be in a certain place in the file?

• I use a Pentax K-3 Mark III. In the 5.9 notes this is specifically called out as now being supported. But it’s not there in the drop-down under Profiled Lens Corrections. Is there a separate file I need to update?

Background: I’ve been using RT for 4-5 years, under 5.8 and prior the Favorites tab worked just fine.

Hi @ThorSanchez, and welcome!

Operating system?

Oops, sorry. Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

Close RawTherapee.

Edit ~/.config/rawtherapee/options
Locate the [GUI] section,
in which the first entry probably is Favorites=
change that entry into, say,

Favorites=tonecurve;shadowshighlights;resize;

Save, start RawTherapee.

- Profiled Lens Corrections

RawTherapee has, and I quote, improved support for cameras, raw formats and color profiles for many cameras, including the RICOH PENTAX K-3 Mark III. But RawTherapee is not responsible for the content of the lens correction database, which is what is shown in the Profiled Lens Corrections.

You probably need to update this database. Not sure if/how it is installed on your box. Check if lensfun is installed via the package manager. Run (/usr/bin/)lensfun-update-data (you might need sudo) to update the database.

I said probably because I don’t know if the lens(es) that you use are actually present in the database to begin with. Have a look at lensfun on github if you want to make sure.

- Favourites

You mention building RawTherapee yourself and like using Favourites. If this is the case you might want to merge this PR #6383 into your build.

I’ve been using that one for about a year now and it works great. No more need to manually edit your options file, all can be done from the preferences menu

If merging branches isn’t your thing: This one is set to be merged into 6.0 (maybe 5.10?).

2 Likes

So… this is strange, probably the result of some idiosyncratic choice I unknowingly made in the past, but the options file tied to my new 5.9 build is under ~/.config/RawTherapee5-dev/ . I suppose I could figure out why this is, or (more likely) just accept that this is my world and I can live in it.

But thank you, your suggestion pointed me in the right direction and the Favorites menu is working.

Now on to figuring out the K-3 Mark III thing…

1 Like

Now that you mention the lensfun tie to the cameras I have some very vague recollection of a similar issue in the past. I know I had to update lensfun years ago, I’ll probably try to do that again and see if that fixes the issue.

@ThorSanchez

I suppose I could figure out why this is,

Oh, I know exactly why: you have followed the installation instructions,
that’s why. I have not, that is why I have my config in a “normal” place.

But that is of no importance; the important thing is that you have located the correct file.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

So the answer to recognizing the K-3 Mark III was simply “sudo lensfun‑update‑data”. All good now!

2 Likes