RawTherapee Issue - Does Not Recognize PNG Files By Default

Hi, I just installed RawTherapee_5.0-r1-gtk3_WinVista_64 on Windows 7. Double-clicking several directories I was frustrated that none of my PNG images were showing up. Going into the File Browser I discovered that PNG was the only image type unchecked. I’m just curious as to why that is.

Thanks, Jim.

Hey

Because PNG files are typically not used for photography and they are typically used for things which lie on the opposite side of the graphics spectrum, such as website interface image elements. For example a single image with an extreme aspect ratio (a line 1000px x 1px) can cause havoc in the File Browser thumbnails which would confuse the user if not outright cause a crash. Having “limited developer resources” means we prioritized actual photography-related features over spending time on this.

If you code, patches are most welcome.

1 Like

Hi Morgan,
Thanks for the feedback. While PNGs are not used for photography, they are frequently used as a way to share images via a lossless file format - which describes how I came to be attempting to work with PNGs in RawTherapee.

While I do code, my utter lack of free time - as well as other open source projects that I’m more invested in - precludes me from code work.

I will say this - even though I’m a newbie with RawTherapee, what I’ve seen so far is really impressive so my hat is off to all the folks who have sacrificed their free time to create this really useful tool. Thank you all.