[Closed] RawTherapee macOS build needs URGENT testing

Just tested on MacAir and MAcPro both on OSX10.13.6.Did some editing and either sent to external editor (gimp) or save to disk (jpg and tif). Also saves a new processing profil. All seems to be working as expected !!! Will keep using it and report if any issue. Thank you for all the efforts

1 Like

@zurdo Thanks for the testing!

Poked around with the new build during my break. So far looks good, will test tonight with my photo collection.

@120photo :+1: Great, thanks for testing it. Which macOS version are you @?

HIRAM,

It seems the people having success are not using Catalina 10.15.3 but older versions of MacOS.
So it is good that it works for older versions.

It is built on 10.15.3, functions normally for me on it including navigating to external volumes.
Let me try resetting gatekeeper. Sometimes you have to reset gatekeeper to get the security pop-up again…

HIRAM,

I found this:

• If I open RT 5.8 beta directly I cannot navigate external drive.
  • If I select a file on external drive from Adobe Bridge and right click to use the Open WIth command and select Raw Therapy the file DOES open.
  • After opening the file from Adobe Bridge I can see the entire directory tree in Raw Therapy for the external drive but CANNOT open the folders to display their contents.
  • No error message is offered by RT.

Has anyone tried the latest build in macOS 10.15.3?

https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_OSX_10.9_64_5.8.zip

Hi everyone, on my MacBook Pro, at this moment, this version works very well, browsing between folders and volumes, exporting and converting Tiff and Jpeg.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009)
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
Ram 8 GB DDR3 at 1067 MHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Sorry, just a small bug. The application does not open, if inside the “Applications” folder, you create a folder with the application inside.

That is normal, this app is only for running in /Applications due to a security policy known as hardened runtime.

2016 MBP 15in
16GB RAM
Radenon Pro 455 2GB

Overall looks to be running ok. I got a random crash when I turned on Noise Reduction on a X-T2 file but was not able to reproduce the crash. I can navigate external drives and filed on my NAS. Had to reinstall ProPhoto profile as I don’t know where else to install other than direct into application’s package content directory.

I will continue to test and see if I find anything else.

@Lysander you will have to add /bin/sh to Full Disk Access

5.8 macOS 10.15 Catalina
Some security permissions may need to be set for some users to access directories other than ~ and ~/Pictures

• You must physically add /bin/sh to Full Disk Access under Privacy in the Security & Privacy Control Panel.

• You may need to navigate to the /bin folder using Go > Go to Folder… (Command-Shift-G)
    You can drag sh onto the panel.

This is caused by the structure of how the app is executed and I don’t think it is ideal at present, but does satisfy the runtime-environment requirements for elements of the gtk interface kit. These requirements can possibly be met by other entities within the application bundle, for instance Launch Services environment variable keys in the Info.plist file. Double-clicking the app runs an executable loader script (which is interpreted by /bin/sh/) sets some variables including gathering information about the locale then launches the rawtherapee binary.
https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/5635

Did a bit more testing. Overall it is working but where I get inconsistent crashes are when turning on Noise Reduction. Tomorrow I will run RT from the terminal and direct output to a file to see what may be going on before a crash.

@HIRAM I would like to upload the build, do you feel it’s ready? If so, please explain briefly how a user should “install” or run it. I will add this info to the download page. The explanation should be as simple as possible…

These requirements can possibly be met by other entities within the application bundle, for instance Launch Services environment variable keys in the Info.plist file.

makes my head spin :wink:

HIRAM,

The solution you documented works. Thanks.

Also, are there any security risks associated withi this solution?

… this is strange, since with version 5.6 I had the application and other associated files (for example the HaldCLUT folder) all in a folder in the “Applications” folder.

@carlos1960 Understood, that is normal for 5.8 due to the application of a security policy known as hardened runtime. (A certain form of code signature which disallows the presentation of relative pathnames for system integrity and security).

1 Like

I know its not ideal but it seems reasonable for /bin/sh to see /, the way Mac life has been for a long time. The ideal solution for Catalina would be to restructure the bundle so the RawTherapee.app gets Full Disk Access instead of /bin/sh

@Morgan_Hardwood ok, yes this is ready.

To install: Unzip, open the .dmg, drag the RawTherapee app onto the Applications folder.

macOS 10.15 Catalina
To authorize: Go > Go to Folder…⇧⌘G (Command-Shift-G) to /bin, drag sh into the Full Disk Access pane under the Privacy tab in the Security & Privacy control panel in > System Preferences…