Rawtherapee unresponsive after install on Win10 Pro

I installed RT 5.5 on a Win10 Pro system, which runs fine. After starting it, there is no response whatsoever to mouse clicks. Tried it with release 5.4, same problem.

Probably should mention: Win 10 Pro system with 32 GB memory, 4K dual monitor, connected RAID, works otherwise flawlessly…

Does anyone know what is wrong ? Or what I do wrong ?

Thanks

Check your antivirus/windows defender.

1 Like

I use NOD32 antivirus, switched it off, same problem…
I allowed RT 5.5 as an allowed application in Win10 firewall…

Cannot be that, I suppose

I even changed the ‘options’ file to an empty startup-folder
no success

Firewall ≠ antivirus: try adding an exclusion. It is buried under a series of menu items. Let me help you navigate using the quickest way I could find:

Settings → search “defender” → choose “Virus & threat protection”.

Go here:

Then here:

Thanks for your nice suggestions, but no success…
afre, my Win10 system looks a bit different and the exclusions are in ESET, not in Windows (automatic relink)

But it still does the same, sigh, nothing

I can move the mouse around but I cannot even close the window, have to use Task Manager to kill the process

Instead of starting the program, what happens when you right click on a image file and choose Open with RawTherapee option?

@globetrotters1 Windows Defender is like the plague! It runs when it wants to, has multiple sets of settings and can change its own settings. Sometimes, I disable it out of frustration; but then Windows enables it again. Chronicles of my initial struggles with win10 can be found here: Installing win10.

As @paperdigits has said time and again, we should all move to Linux and friends.

To address your specific problem, Windows Defender and NOD32 both have multiple settings, each with an exclusion or exception list. You have to find all of them and exclude the directory that RT is in. Even if you have another antivirus suite, it is possible that Defender is still active and trolling you. Open task manager and see what are the most draining processes to find out.

Start Windows in Safe Mode

I had troubles like this and rawtherapee was starting but crashing immediately. Have you deleted the rawtherapee cache folder (and other temporary folders)?
Check File Paths - RawPedia for where to find them.

What do you see? Is the main window loaded? Also, follow @Daniel_Catalina’s advice and try and start clean: uninstall everything, manually remove the cache and options, reinstall.

@ shreedar:

I can open a raw file with right-clicking and ‘open with…’, it loads the picture and stalls… no response to the mouse

@ afre

I cannot move to Linux, my wife would kill me. I tried it once and she was furious…
I dig deeper with NOD32 and the mentioned Defender exceptions, let you know

@ arturoisilvia

I cannot work in safe mode, perhaps install, but it’s a pain in Win10

@ Daniel_Catalina & Thanatomanic

yes, deleted cache, reinstalled completely new, no success

It loads the window, fills with data/pictures, shows an ‘About’ window (which I can only close with hitting the ‘escape’ key, no response whatsoever, but after some time I can close the window with the upper right ‘x’, leave the program, nothing else. In memory it needs around 180 MB, most of the time no CPU cycles, nothing…

I’m used to computers all my life, but this is a real miracle for me

The nasty Defender does things even with 3rd party AV installed. The “SmartScreen” thingy, checking the apps and files, should be disabled for a more normal life, if one tends to install libre programs, even more development versions.

I am using a free antivirus that uses least resources, with all but most basic features disabled.

Without these measures, both programs would check every RT_dev installer against their whitelists, without success, and block or break the installation.

So try to make certain, it is not a “security” issue.

1 Like

Do you by any chance work on multiple monitors and have an alternative input device next to a mouse, like a pen or tablet?

Yes, two 4K monitors
No pen, no tablet (well, I have a tablet, but that is independent…)

Security problem shouldn’t be, I blocked Defender/antivirus in all settings available…

It seems that RawTherapee simply doesn’t work on a Win10 Pro system

Too bad ! Not a good sign ! Modern Windows systems are almost all Win10 systems.
The developers of RawTherapee shouldn’t offer their program for Windows

Have to look for an alternative…

These kinds of comments are not helpful. The people who make RawTherapee and the people who have tried to offer help here do so in their free time.

We have plenty of people running on Windows 10 Pro; it is something on your specific system. Since we cannot access your system, we can’t help you fix it.

1 Like

No, it works smoothly on my system. Did you follow my instruction on viewing task manager and seeing which processes are taking up the most resources once RT is opened? That and if the hard drive is working overtime are signs that Defender is the culprit.

Other offenders could be: encryption, indexing and compression.

1 Like

I strictly disagree!

RawTherapee is free as well as your choice.

2 Likes

There are a lot of people here using W10 and Rawtherapee with no problem.
Perhaps to try to identify your problem, if you are willing, you can try the following:

• find your option file an replace verbose=false by verbose=true
  • open a command window
  • go to the RT install dir
  • type

gdb rawtherape-debug.exe (adapt to PS if needed)

• report if RT starts or if you get an error message

@Morgan_Hardwood
If RT hangs somewhere, how we can get a backtrace?

1 Like

Maybe by opening a second console, then look in task manager for the pid of the rawtherapee process

and then in second console
gdb -p PID

which in above example would be
gdb -p 6132