RawTherapee Website release post (aka: we're not dead yet)

That was already about 2 weeks ago. I guess @Morgan_Hardwood 's free days are over? And nothing happened?

No. @jdc’s post was written one day ago.

But I think he he is not responsible for releases.

I can do nothing for release.
I hope, I hope…
I wait since one year…
Jacques

This has happened several times already. Morgan has popped in to ask for the status of the codebase and planned to make a release, only to suddenly stop communications. I wish we could have more insight into his availability and progress, but life is unpredictable. If he doesn’t come back, maybe we will attempt to figure out the release with the help of Roel when he’s “fully” available again.

3 Likes

@patdavid

Hello Pat

I have looked at the work you have done to summarize in an educational way, the work of each contributor.

It is very well done, thank you.

Just a remark

• for “LocalAdjustments” the last link
    “High dynamic range images - use Log Encoding or the “PDE” algorithms in the “Dynamic Range & Exposure” tool”
    is obsolete;

• It should be replaced by :
    “HDR to SDR: A first Approach (Log Encoding - Cam16 - JzCzHz - Sigmoid)” which is in the new paragraph 3. This includes the previous examples and of course all those mentioned in the title

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Adjustments#HDR_to_SDR:A_First_Approach.28Log_Encoding_-CAM16-JzCzHz-_Sigmoid.29

Thank you again

Jacques

2 Likes

Hi Pat,

I think that it would be easier to keep track of your progress if you could put this link at the top of the page rather than somewhere in the middle.

Mike

1 Like

Sorry for the radio silence these past few days. We have COVID running in our household at the moment and it knocked me on my ass for a couple of days. I need to catch up on some work things but I’ll come back to address everyone’s comments/additions since my last post!

8 Likes

I don’t use RT, but i do have a small suggestion. I would drop the word “yet” from the title. To me it implies that it will happen. I don’t think that’s the message the team wants to convey.

2 Likes

Just what I thought.

It’s a Monty Python reference (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
A character says “I’m not dead yet!” with his next line being “I’m getting better!”

The allusion to the movie implies that unless some additional, deliberate action is taken to kill it, the project will get better.

2 Likes

Am I missing something? I see the link to the draft in the first post and the working title is “RawTherapee 5.9 (WIP) and Project Updates”.

They are discussing the URL itself right now

Ok, progress. I’ve had a little bit of time to catch up on the suggestions from everyone so far. (Thank you!).

I’ve included them all

… with the exception of the HDR-SDR and Cam functions… post above from @jdc - as the material is dense and I’m not quite sure where/how to write it in to this post. This feels like it might be a good follow-up post in the coming weeks on it’s own? Especially where we can expand the descriptions and include some fancy graphics perhaps.

On that note, are we looking good for a publication?
If there’s nothing more to add I can look at publishing over the weekend or even on Monday and then pushing to social channels and other outlets to pick up and spread the great news. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @patdavid , as de facto maintainer (and having access to the Gitlab repo) I’m back after some time off. As I said before, it’s great that you’ve worked to help out the RT community in this way! Thanks a bunch.

Reading the introduction of the post, I have a few remarks (such as, who is Pat David? :wink: – I would not want people to think that they should now bother you if they have questions about RT… ). I have some edits in mind. Would you be okay if I made these modifications directly to the post?

1 Like

I reviewed the latest version and it looks good. A few minor comments though. For the camera-based perspective correction section, the main developers and main contributors are on the same line. There’s no bold formatting for the ones in wavelet improvements.
Speaking of wavelets, it’s still marked as to-do. I compared the wavelets tool between 5.8 and the dev version and played around with the new additions. Jacques’s post above is a good summary. If you need any clarifications, I’ll be happy to help.

My sense is some of the discussion went into documentation territory. I certainly pitched in my opinions with that in mind. A follow-up post would be nice. May COVID-19 scidattle and stop preventing our Pat from waxing poetic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Roel (@Thanatomanic)!

Glad to see you! Yes, of course you can make edits directly in the post. If there’s something you want to offload to me please don’t hesitate to tell me also. I’m here to help.

WHAT?! I AM PAT DAVID. I thought everyone knew this already!! :rofl:

1 Like

Wavelet section added.

@patdavid and others

Thank you Pat for this excellent work, everything is perfect.

Thanks for including the module “HDR to SDR: A First Approach (Log Encoding - CAM16 - JzCzHz - Sigmoid)” which contains in its introduction (made together with Wayne @Wayne_Sutton ), the summary of this module.

This module (HDR to SDR) is a simple alternative to what has been done in Darktable (filmic, Colorimetry and in progress sigmoid, etc.). But as you will notice I continue to use in the code (which uses 32-bit data - float), the Lab conversions, which after many attempts pass at least 15Ev (with the images I have). Moreover, if you check the necessary boxes in “Settings”, a Munsell correction is applied to Lab which allows a perfect respect of the colorimetry, avoiding color drifts (especially in the red-orange and blue-purple).

The Lab mode has a big restriction, but when it is used in the output profile (to the screen), in this case because of the 8-bit coding, Lab is limited to 7Ev and brings a limitation to 120cd/m2. Let’s hope that profiles with their management system (here LCMS) will solve this problem. Note however that HDR monitors are not within the reach of everyone: a model capable of passing 300 to 400cd/m2 costs about 3000€, and one capable of passing 4000cd/m2 is around 30000€.

There are several links in Rawtherapee where I talk about the Lab mode and its limitations, they give additional explanations. Par exemple https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Toolchain_Pipeline#Colorimetry

Thanks again.

jacques