RawTherapee 4.2.936 does not support raw files from Canon G16

I recently download & installed the Fast version 4.2.936 of RawTheapee for
Windows 32-bit operating system and am unable to see the raw photos. I
do see them in thumbnail, but when I click on it I see only a black
window. I would like to contact RawTherapiee but can not find a contact
for support. How do I contact them for help? Do they offer support
thru email?

Hello and welcome.

This forum is the primary avenue for support for RawTherapee.

It sounds like you need to clear your cache. That link will take you to their wiki; the information there is fairly comprehensive.

@paperdigits I don’t think clearing the cache will achieve anything. Deleting the “options” file might, if @masmd had an older version about.

@masmd most importantly, upload the raw file you are trying to open using https://filebin.net/ so that we can confirm that that raw model is supported.

Thanks,
I uploaded file IMG_2636.cr2. The URL is:
https://filebin.net/bt1i6fq13ig33okm
This is a raw Canon file from my Canon G16 camera that will open in Canon’s Photo Professional, but not Rawtherapee. I can see the thumbnail in Rawtherapy, but when I try to open it I see only a black window instead of the image. So I can not process it. Is this camera and my other Canon Rebel SL1 supported in Rawtherapee? If it is, why wont it open the raw image?

masmd

Opens fine with current master and also with gtk3 branch

I am using RawTherapee 4.2.936 (RT 4.2.936 for Windows XP or newer 32-bit - fast) and it will not open any of my raw Canon CR2 files. In contrast Canon Digital Photo Professional opens them all. Does Rawtherapee offer any technical support? For me the software is unusable. Perhaps it does not run on a Windows 7 computer. Most bizarre!

masmd

@masmd The version of RawTherapee you tried (4.2.936) probably does not support your files. Try the version linked in this post.

I tried on Win7/64 and RT opened your file. And I bet it will open fine also with latest RT version for Win32

@masmd I changed the topic of the issue to be more informative

I do not understand why my Canon RAW .cr2 files will not open in Rawtherapee. Here is a screen capture of what I see in Rawtehrapee, 4.2.936 on my Windows 7 (32-bit) computer:

The raw file is IMG_2636.cr2. What I see is a black box. The small image at the upper right is the JPEG which was shot together with the raw file. They both open in Canon’s Digital Photo Professional. but I can not open the raw .cr2 file in Rawtherapee. Is there something in settings that is not set correctly?

masmd

I have tried this on an XP virtual machine and can confirm the problem with 4.2.936, but after upgrading to 4.2.1074, everything works as expected.

Edit: I made this reply a kind of the same time as Mike published his new post, but I think it is still valid. Version 1074 has no problems.

As @Jacal said: RT 4.2.936 does not support the raw files from your camera.
You have to use a more recent version of rt (e.g. the one @gaaned92 linked in the Issue I mentioned above) to open your raw files in rt. Simple, isn’t it?

Ingo

@Jacal Thanks a lot for your help :sunny:

@heckflosse, by the way, RT seems to be surprisingly fast and useful on a XP virtual machine. Really nice!

:slight_smile: I spent a lot of time to speed up rt not only for 64 bit cpu. But don’t try noise reduction or wavelets on 36 mp (or larger) raw files using win32 version of rt :wink:

Actually it is NOT simple as you did not send me the URL to download Rawtherapee version 4.2.1074. I do not see this listed at:
http://rawtherapee.com/downloads
Where do I get the correct version?
That download page needs revision as 4.2.936 does not work correctly with 32-bit Windows OS of XP and above.

Here That’s the link from the post I mentioned above.

Download the 6th counted from left side…

Before listing new builds at RawTherapee - Downloads windows builders usually annouce the new builds in this form. And I appreciate this!

Well, now I had to try. After some fiddling (noise reduction, wavelets, as you proposed) with a 36 mp NEF file, RT crashed, and it wasn’t able to open a 50 mp CR2. Still, with my 18 mp files, it works better than it should dare.

The host win7 computer is four years old, with an i5 processor and 16 GB of memory. They don’t get old as fast as they used to. And, of course, congratulations for your optimizations!

1 Like

Thanks. But before I download and install Rawtherapee, will it work with raw files for both my Canon G16 and Canon Rebel SL1 or only the G16? I do extensive post-processing on my images, but when I bring up an image in Canon’s Digital Photo Professional shot simultaneously in Raw and JPEG I see no difference in either the appearance or histogram. I know there are more bits in the raw file, but my eye can’t see the difference.

masmd

I don’t have a raw file from Canon Rebel SL1 to try out. Why don’t you simply try it?

Ingo