Rearranging favs edit commands in darktable

Hi there.
Could well be a silly question, but I would like to know if there is a way to rearrange the order of the editing bars in the darkroom module, one you have created your favourite list of commands (star symbol). I mean, moving up and down the commands, thus creating an order in the editing process. Ex, I’d like to have as first on top base curve, just below levels, then color zones…etc. So to create an order in the overall editing step steps. As I write it occurs me that maybe if I start from scratch the list of the favourites, darktable adds the commands in the order you add them.

Thanks in advance!
m

Darktable applies all of it’s modules in a predetermined fixed order. Darktable users cannot change this order. So, I imagine that is why you cannot physically move the module order in the Darktable UX.

For more information, see https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/darkroom_concepts.html#pixelpipe

1 Like

The pixelpipe order in which darktable carries out the processing is fixed, but you can activate modules in any order you like while editing.

So I can see no problem with allowing users to arrange the items in Favourites to suit their personal workflow.

I for one would welcome the convenience that would bring to routine work. At present, you have to skip about all over the place to locate modules that aren’t even in alphabetical order in Favourites.

(Apologies for British English spelling of Favorites!)

1 Like

Clear enough.
In the future would be nice to be able to arrange them.
Meanwhile, many thanks!

m

This has been raised as a feature request but looks like it won’t be implemented. See https://redmine.darktable.org/issues/10435

1 Like

Very interesting debate indeed.
Fair enough.
Thanks.

Thanks for the interesting link. I fear the lack of interest in helping users arrange their favourites to coinincide with their routine workflow displays the age-old tendency for FOSS projects to be preoccupied with technical matters at the expense of convenience/elegance of user-interface design. (Or perhaps FOSS projects just don’t attract designers?)

As good projects mature, they start to attract users whose main concern is useability and convenience. Those of us who’ve been interested in Free (Libre) Software for years all know what happens to the user base at this point. :wink:

Not trying to flame. Just sayin’.

I keep using it because it gives good results.

I’ve worked some 30+ years in software development in a great many capacities including coding, architecture, operational support, and project management. I agree that the ability to simply place modules in a workflow path would be a nice to have feature, but also understand that application development revolves around a very disciplined set of priorities and desired application features under many resource related constraints. It is also near impossible to predetermine whether a simple sounding application change is actually simple to implement at all. I’ve seen my own coding go from one extreme to the other, where a simple sounding change would necessitate a complete application redesign, to an enormous sounding change being a minor tweak waiting to happen. It’s rarely just a simple change.

1 Like