Recommendations for keyboard shortcuts

I have started to write code for introducing keyboard shortcuts in PhotoFlow. However, I have no clear idea of what people are used to and what could be the most convenient key combinations for the various actions.

Here are some ideas (Ctrl is for Linux/Windows, Cmd is for Mac):

• Ctrl(Cmd)+o: open a new image
  • Ctrl(Cmd)+s: save the current image
  • Ctrl(Cmd)+e: export the current image
  • Ctrl(Cmd)+n: add a new layer
  • Ctrl(Cmd)+g: add a new group layer
  • Ctrl(Cmd)+d: duplicate the currently selected layer(s)
  • Ctrl(Cmd)+Shift+d: delete the currently selected layer(s)

What do you think?

I will correct/update/grow the above list whenever we come up with some new/better ideas…

Thanks in advance for the help!

…and the best ks are…

configurable keyboard shortcuts !!!

1 Like

I’d have a look at the GIMP shortcuts. But I guess, you already did that. :wink:

I started to look into them, but I honestly don’t like them… for example, on Mac “new layer” is Cmd+Shift+N, and there is not shortcut for deleting a layer… but it might be just me that has not enough knowledge about GIMP shortcuts.

Same in Inkscape. Seems to be something like a “standard”.

Looks like Photoshop uses the same, so I guess I should conform to the “standard”…

They all seemed good :hamburger: except

Ctrl(Cmd)+Shift+d: delete the currently selected layer(s)

IF you’re planing to add some sort of history or undo/redo function, I’ld go for a simple delete - deletes layer(s) selected. In any other case – accounting that it can be somehow relative, so when deleting a value layer desn’t just vanish – a ctrl(cmd) + delete will suffice MHO {mythologicaly horny animal whose breath smelled like wine}. I’m 100% with the devils’ son alex666, configurable keyboard shortcuts is the way to please the angry mob :stuck_out_tongue:… nevertheless it will eventulay resume being angry

SOS - some other shortcuts:

• Move layers, up/down somethin’ like cmd+opt arrow up/down

• A shortcut for direct acces to mask layer

• Toogle layer(s) or groups visibility on/off

• Toggle paths/gradient visibility on/off – I read the hdr stuff, NICE!!! Direct acces to mask layer and specially toogling masks visibility would probably be usefull in that “mode” too

• Zoom, in / out / fit / 1:1

• As ctrl + left click already allows to move the image around, something alt + scroll to zoom
  • Oddity, assignable ok / cancel as default option in dialogs (so to navigate faster with return), also arrows to navigate filter menus

• Deactivate rendering, strange; explanation - after the pipeline optimization I can imagine people using helmets and more layers piling up (called the babel effect), instead of making all invisible, could maybe just suspend any image rendering to organize, rename, wash teeth and that sort of tidying up, go to bed things.

• Assignable shortcuts for most used filters

• Crazy suggestion: as help/info panel on the right has plenty empty space there’s a couple things I can imagine happening there, chinesse fortune cookies, seriously now a cropped 1:1 preview of selected filter, GMIC like and/or more down to earth a little cute box where users can directly assign desired shortcuts… told ya crazy!! :blowfish:

• Toogle “original” state aka kamikaze (solo) mode - simply view the image as imported, same as before - after (on current layer state)

As always appretiative of the time and resources and the good vibe, :penguin: {oscilator, dub 4 penguins}

Completelly OT but have to say it or explode, this website has the best inmplementation and most useful interaction tools and behaviours (yet remaining clean and to the point) I’ve seen, congrats to the fingers behind that magic :tophat:

Hello,

I am a really happy Gimp user and I don’t even have Photoshop installed on my computer (only at work).
This being said, IMHO, I do think you should adopt Photoshop shortcuts since it is the standard on the Photography industry (like it or not…).

Gimp [1] and Krita have their own shortcuts but they both allow you to change all shortcuts to follow exactly the ones of Photoshop.

Needless to say, the most elegant solution would be to being able to change all shortcuts at your will but I suppose it would be a lot of work to code this feature.

[1] Photoshop-ish Keyboard Shortcuts for The Gimp 2.8