Recover highlights using filmic v6

Hello guys.

I was trying to recover the highlights in this photo using filmic v6 (great BTW) I’m really pleased with the results, but I’ll like to see some others results. Fell free to try and bring some lights to this post :slight_smile:
Greetings from La Habana, Cuba.

My try.

_DSF0548.RAF.xmp (9.4 KB)

_DSF0548.RAF (48.2 MB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

10 Likes

My f
_DSF0548.RAF.xmp (17.1 KB)
eeble attempt…looks like a beautiful spot…

1 Like

Nice scene. Doesn’t quite beat the rare fiery sunset I saw two evenings ago but nevertheless an excellent frame. One thing that doesn’t look right is the cylindrical part of the closest building. Is there an adjustment that could fix it? Consider it a challenge if you agree with my observation. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. The cylindrical part of the nearest building is a complicated platform, because of the same perspective, the building is a new hotel that ends in a wedge shape at that intersection. I have no idea if with some adjustment in the perspective module or lens correction it can be fixed. Here is another image from another angle.

_DSF0548.RAF.xmp (18.7 KB)

8 Likes

Nice colors.:+1::+1:

1 Like

Agreed: @age’s less sombre, more cheery and fresh.

Nice image, though colour and detail information may be obscured by the noise in the shadows. There is still some perspective massaging that could be done too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m very late to this party, but I liked the challenge because I’m trying to get the hang of highlight reconstruction and the many obscure options in Filmic RGB that affect it.

_DSF0548.RAF.xmp (18.2 KB)

I prioritized avoiding weird colors around the sun, so I may have lost more of the orange hue and more detail in the clouds than you’d like, I’m not sure.

I’ve also tried correcting for perspective, but I don’t really know what I’m doing here.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing another of your great shots from Cuba and risking a wet camera again!
My play in GIMP. I have tried to bring out a little more detail in the darker parts of the buildings and their reflections and emphasise the spray.

3 Likes

Thanks all you guys for bring us different approaches to this picture. Btw the camera and lens survive the experience :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m late too. Great picture you bring us. Thanks for that.

_DSF0548.RAF.xmp (17,3 KB)

4 Likes

Hello,

Here is my version, a very nice picture and a good exercise with the highlights
A greeting from Brussels,
Christian

_DSF0548_01.RAF.xmp (18.0 KB)

5 Likes

nice photo.

How does filmic v6 help with highlight reconstruction?

DT4. I don’t have many raws to edit. But on some, I have issues with blue/magenta highlight. Below is the default import. Raw over-exposure is very little (not in the “blue” areas). Notice the blue fur around his collar and shoulder. On a different image, I monkeyed around with Filmic’s scene and reconstruct tab, but couldn’t make it go away.

But changing highlight reconstruction to guided lapaclians, the blue in his fur goes away.

Usually a different norm or backing off the white relative will get rid of the color in those areas…when it doesn’t there is a new mode that works quite nicely…

I find I don’t use Laplacian that much. Its very resource dependent and if there are adjacent colors I really never get predictable or pleasing results…that is just my opinion of course… I think its best at correcting specular lights and sun bursts etc…

One thing you can do and it works well in these situations if you cant get it with only the norm change or white relative is the tone eq…blend on the blue channel…drag the curve from the right most point gradually down and the blue will go away… if its too strong you get yellow so you need to back off or tweak opacity… I have been using this a lot in the clouds as I find default filmic norm often leave the clouds with a blue tint blending them into the sky… I use the blue channel with tone eq a lot for whitening or warming the clouds and or boosting the blue or pulling it back in the sky…

1 Like

My cowardly version… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

_DSF0548.RAF.xmp (15.3 KB)

5 Likes

@dqpcoxeas Coward? Oh no.
You presented a fully valid solution! :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Jjj 1x1 without the Sun. Nice solution :+1::grin:

1 Like

ART