Resynthesizer Plugin Gimp 2.10, Ubuntu 19.04

Hi everyone,

So trying to get resynthesizer plugin to work under Gimp 2.10

I downloaded the Linux quickstart files from https://github.com/bootchk/resynthesizer

resynthesizer.tar_0.gz

I decompressed the files and placed them in the snap plug directory that is named in the plugin folder in Gimp 2.10, making them executable.

/home/user/snap/gimp/165/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

When I run Heal selection I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/python/gimpfu.py”, line 740, in response
dialog.res = run_script(params)
File “/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/python/gimpfu.py”, line 361, in run_script
return apply(function, params)
File “/home/user/snap/gimp/165/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/plugin-heal-selection.py”, line 148, in heal_selection
pdb.plug_in_resynthesizer(timg, tdrawable, 0,0, useBorder, work_drawable.ID, -1, -1, 0.0, 0.117, 16, 500)
error: procedure not found

I notice that it disappeared from Partha’s build several versions back. I asked about it at the time, and just got kind of a ‘good riddance’ reply, so perhaps it wasn’t as valuable as I had originally thought. It came in handy for me a few times in the past, though.

No use putting the source code in Gimp.

Snap must be much the same as flatpak, and resynthesizer works without any extras.

This one about installing in snap

However the download referenced there: https://www.gimp-forum.net/attachment.php?aid=1710 is just resynthesizer / resynthesizer-gui

For those files + the heal-selection / heal-transparency python plugins I added here: Gimp 2.10, Resynthesizer, Linux

Remove all the files you installed. The usual, unzip, put in the snap Gimp 2.10 profile (as your post), check that the plugins are still executable.

2 Likes

@rich2005 should we write a small blog post with clear install instructions and links/files for people? I swear I see this question fairly often, and the end result is always to just link to your post on gimp-forum. :slight_smile:

Maybe a blog post would be a nice reference for others searching about it?

Thanks for the info all.

I think a blog post for this would be the way to go. I’ve read so much conflicting info.

I agree 100% but I am not much of a blog person, leave that to you but some comments on what is available.

A search should come up with this first: GitHub - bootchk/resynthesizer: Suite of gimp plugins for texture synthesis , now version 2.0.3 The search often leads elsewhere, that is another matter.

I suspect the OP, same as me does not really get past the section on code but there are links for Gimp users.

Not really good advice. Maybe you have some influence there to get an update.

1. The old (now archived) gimp.registry - this is version 1, Windows and a Linux binaries, both 32 bit. Not working with much after Gimp 2.6 . (which prompted that 1.1 Windows zip I made back in 2013) Should be consigned to history.

2. The linux version is the same as 1) version 1 , 32 bit binaries.

3. This should be the best one for Windows Users, The samj’s make good Windows plug-ins. However it is 32 bit and old. Maybe you could twist their arm(s) and get a good up-to-date 64 bit version. They also have a blog, with resynthesizer included but not that easy to navigate.

4. One of my pet hates. The Debian 'gimp-plugin-registry package. 164 script-fu’s (including some misplaced .py’s) 24 plugins. Who needs all that rubbish for the occasional gem. Non-Debian users can usually get just the plugin from their repo.

Where to provide a resilient, persistent repository for all flavours? I do not know, maybe github.com/pixlsus/ ?

1 Like