Retouch and the new Crop

I find that if I’m retouching the border of the image, with something from the middle, it is better to move the retouch module above the crop.

Original image and crop

Default position in pixelpipe

Retouch moved after crop

This can be confusing for beginners, if they have cropped the image first and then clean the edges
as the image they see, is after the full pixelpipe, not the version in the current position of the pixelpipe. Maybe this could be added as a remark in the documentation.

I think this happens because the new crop module allows you to select from outside the crop…into the original image…

From the manual

This module appears later in the pipeline than the deprecated crop and rotate module, meaning that the full image can remain available for source spots in the retouch module.

Yes, I understand why it is happening. The heal mode has pixels to imitate from the out-cropped area in the default position. My point was, that the functionality is not exactly WYSIWYG, as you see the final image, not the version in that position of the pixelpipe.

Although it’s not mandatory, it’s good practice to perform edits in pipeline order (i.e. crop last).

Crop (and rotate, in its new module) is usually the first thing I do after an initial round of selection (rejecting redundant and flawed photos).

It helps me see what I want to focus on and whether I want to invest in the photo with further work.

I am fine with its place in the pipeline though.

3 Likes