Room Lighting for Photo Processing

As some may have garnered from my posts, we have recently moved to Pitlochry in Scotland. The house that we bought is in severe need of renovation and we have plans for this.

I have commandeered one of the attics (formerly servants’ quarters) as an office. I have the opportunity to replace the lights in this room (currently a single pendant) during a rewire.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend lighting appropriate for photo-processing. Given that I am in a different country to other people on the forum, I would be more interested in type rather than make and model (unless it is available internationally of course).

Taking this paper (Applying Mixed Adaptation to Various Chromatic Adaptation Transformation Models) as a base, it would be recommended that the color temperature of your lights to be as close as possible to the one your display is set.

Given you are targeting photo-processing, it is advisable that you calibrate+profile your display and take note of the chosen white point. It usually will be around 6500ºK, so your lighting would better be around that number.

There are good quality led fixtures with a CCT of 6000ºK. And if you choose carefully you could even avoid (mostly) the dreaded blue spike, typical of led lighting.

You should definitely avoid big differences in color temperature, though (like 3500ºK lighting and a 6500ºK display).