RT 5.4 Performance optimizations?

@Morgan_Hardwood

Tested on Win7: There is a serious lag (several seconds) when switching back to RT in case the Lens/Geometry tool is expanded. It does not matter where I am when minimizing RT. Switching back to RT while the Lens/Geometry tool is expanded is really slow, and even slower if more than one file is opened in METM and all have the tool expanded.
When the tool is collapsed, it’s fine.

1 Like

Maybe selecting the lensfun camera/lens combo should be dona via a popup GtkWindow.

In rawproc, I do the camera/lens lookup from metadata when I add the lenscorrection tool to the chain. That’s when I load the database, seems to take about 3-4sec on my quad-core Phenom, SATA disks. If either is not found, I mark it as ‘(none)’ and the user can then manually select from a pop-up dialog that opens immediately on pressing the button, probably because the database is already loaded in memory. I also subclassed the wxWidgets listbox to make it filterable on a string, so you don’t have to scroll through ~600 entries.

So, I only load it once, with blatant disregard for the memory used to keep it there…

1 Like

We also load it only once and keep it in memory. It’s the currently used widget which makes it slow when the tool is expanded. If it’s collapsed it doesn’t get a queue_draw, then it’s fast.

So, it’s the loading of the list widget that’s slow… ?

Loading the DB is instant, it’s the widget that’s slow:

wxWidgets has a ‘virtual’ mode for their listbox, which only loads into the list the rows that are visible. I don’t know GTK, but it might have something similar.

I haven’t felt the need to use it for rawproc’s lensfun integration, however; it takes a second or so for the dialog to come up, but it isn’t onerous…

Hey guys,

For what it’s worth, I’ve given up and continued using 5.0 with GTK2. I don’t know if newer versions have any features that 5.0 is lacking, but the performance issues are totally keeping me from even considering going back to it.

5.0 with GTK2 works great, blazing fast.

EDIT: As an interesting tidbit, I haven’t noticed resource consumption on RT 5.0 GTK2 (32-bit) that would mean the 32 bit architecture was throttling it. Memory usage and CPU and all the good stuff is well below limits. Runs super light, actually. So I don’t mind that it’s 32-bit. It runs super smooth.

1 Like

It seems clear that on some HW/SW configurations, RT GTK3 suffers from slowness (when starting, switching) whereas on other configuration there is no problem.
On my PC tower (I7 6700K, motherboard Z170A, 16GB DDR4, SSD) which is not blazing fast, Starting time is about 2s, and I cannot reproduce the above lag with 10 edit windows opened.
Why such different behaviour?

1 Like

I agree! But: rt 5.0 gtk2 unfortunately cannot handle compressed RAF from an X-Pro2. :frowning:

Is there – or will there be an rt 5.4/gtk2 from Windows :slight_smile: ?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

@gaaned92 To reproduce the lag I have to expand the following tools:
grafik

1 Like

Yes that what I did. To be sure, I repeated the test with 4 images in METM.
For each image the 2 tools are expanded with a correction for each image, manual or auto.
I minimize the RT window, go in other apps , expand the RT window.
There is surely a lag, but unnoticable in normal use. All adjustments react normally.

@gaaned92 Can you provide your options file?

@heckflosse

options.txt (7.9 KB)

1 Like

Thank you very much for the options file. Now I know why you can’t reproduce the lag.
It’s the theme. You use ‘TooWaGrey - Average Surround’, which is fast. I used the default ‘Rawtherapee’ theme, which is slow. Now we need to find out, why ‘TooWaGrey - Average Surround’ is so much faster.

ping @TooWaBoo

2 Likes

GTK3 UI rendering performance should be significantly improved in commit UI rendering performance improved · Beep6581/RawTherapee@b626b4e · GitHub available now in the dev branch.

2 Likes

1000 kudos for this :)))

In the TooWaBlue theme text-shadow has always been off. I never noticed a speed difference between the TooWaBlue and RawTherapee theme.

1 Like

That may be a reason your themes have been faster…

Would removing unneeded dcps and icc profiles also help, or is there something special about lensfun?