RT and Crostini

Has anyone tried using RT on chromebook linux (Crostini)?
Has anyone tried setting it up within an ARM architecture? There are virtually no Appimages set up to run on ARM, so it’s not an option (before praises are sung about them). Flatpak’s behind the curve (and it’s code bloat).

So, I have RT 5.9 installed from source. My chromebook is new and shiny, has 8Gb ram, 8-core processer capable of running at 3Ghz. And RT crashes - often. True, I’m using wavelets and denoising, which push the limits, but it’s not lacking processing power and there’s enough memory.

I suspect it is something to do with the container setup of the environment (Crostini is a linux container, with debian installed)

What diagnostic tools should I install/use to find out what’s going on?

I’ve had. a few people report using the flatpak on a chromebook, the results usually aren’t great. Chromebooks seem to implement their Linux app support weirdly.

I used the flatpak - hugely out of date, which is why I installed from source.

It did, however crash less often…

If you got it from flathub, it should be up to date.

It wasn’t - 5.83 when it should have been 5.88 or something like that

Anyway I’ve come to the conclusion I intensely dislike flatpaks - if only because the people who do the darktable version (which I use only for image sorting and tagging) were unbelievably rude when I had a problem with it.

You mean me? The one where you insisted I should fix a problem I can’t reproduce, while you contribute nothing towards the fix. Rude indeed.

1 Like

I have no idea if it was you or not - and it’s irrelevant to the topic of this thread anyway.
I always give as much information as I can.

Well good luck getting help

1 Like

It seems to be a problem with RAM - I found a diagnostic tool which shows graphs for usage of processors, memory etc. and what seems to be happening is that it is not able to flush the RAM if it wants to. Basically it uses it like a balloon - if I change magnification, usage will go up - change it again and it’ll go up again and so on until the balloon pops and RT crashes… completely.

I don’t think it’s a problem with RT, it’s more how Crostini distributes memory and what can be done with it…

I’ve had to grit my teeth and use the Flatpak version - which uses memory differently - just to have a working environment.

I have installed it on my chromebook linux using the appimage, it seems to work ok so far, no crashes but seems a little slow. Acer 713 i3 8gb.

I’ve got the 513 (new version) which seems to have all the features of the 713 except it’s an arm processor - they seem to have kept the 713 for the US market. Appimages are almost all for i86 processors, so it won’t work on mine.

I’ve managed to get the flatpak working as I like.

As far as I can work out, each app in crostini is given it’s own virtual hard drive - god knows how it works - and probably some rules for memory use. Certainly the flatpak version uses memory in a completely different way, and less of it than RT from source, and I dare say the Appimage is the same.

Generically, Flatpak and Appimages are known quantities to the developers so they probably have a ready made configuration for them. The poor source RT doesn’t get the same consideration! I believe there’s a way of configuring something for it, but as I’ve got the Flatpak running, it’s gone on the back burner.

good that you have got it working. I’m a very basic linux user but I have noticed that chromeos seems to allocate max memory it can to chrome, and then release it when other processes start, so maybe the separate drives are part of this memory usage sstrategy?

It could be

I’m not much more advanced than you as a user - I’ve noticed that on my other computer the use of virtual folders and drives has increased as well. I think it’s also to do with system security - if one app crashes, it shouldn’t take the whole system with it and, possibly, it offers some protection against malware…

Crostini though, has a very specific way of working with Chrome which I don’t understand - services which manage different levels of interraction… which is why it’s really a developers environment (which I ain’t!) for them as know what they’re doing…