RT as Default GIMP Raw Editor on Windows

@agriggio, Please see my post on the GIMP developer list about using RT as the default raw editor on Windows. I’ll be happy to work with you on it separately if you wish.

Thanks,
Partha

Hi @partha, here are the relevant bug reports:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790740#c8

I’m not sure how much I can help though, as I’m not a windows user…

@partha @agriggio

I just pushed a fix for

@heckflosse, You are fixing RT itself. OK, sounds good. In the meantime, is there a way to fix the plugin itself or should I be asking people to wait for the RT fix?

Thanks,
Partha

@partha If I understand correctly, the plugin needs to call rawtherapee -v > somefile.txt to get the version information. In this case the plugin needs to use the fixed version of RT because in old code the version information was put to the null device when output was redirected and -w was used to don’t show the console (on Windows).

@partha As a workaround, the plugin could also get the version information from AboutThisBuild.txt which should be in the same folder as the rawtherapee.exe

@heckflosse, Currently, the plugin is based totally on what DT used to do. So, It spawns a job with the executable and requires the executable to be on the PATH or one needs to define an environment variable called RAWTHERAPEE_EXECUTABLE etc.

So, if we go this way, then the current plugin could be fixed by calling the commandline version of RT (rawtherapee-cli) with -v and then that text can be captured from stdout.

Your fix requires the existence of a text file which if always guaranteed can work as well. I can try to work from these 2 point of views. What do you think?

@partha Good idea to use rawtherapee-cli -v

FYI, GIMP allows to set environment variables by creating files in the environ folder in the config dir:

~/.config/GIMP/2.10/environ$ cat file-darktable.env 
DARKTABLE_EXECUTABLE=/opt/darktable/bin/darktable
1 Like