RT to check latest version on startup

I’d like to see RT have the ability to check for updates at startup and if older version offer to download newer version and install it. This would assist most users with staying up to date with the software.
RONC

I, personally, am not a fan of this; I don’t like my software phoning home.

2 Likes

I left a point I’d planned to include untyped. This would be a user option set in the preferences. Default should be???
RONC

I’ve got to ask…what OS are you running? I can see this idea a bit if running Windows, but not so much on Linux, where the package manager is going to check anyway.

I’m asking for Windows and Mac. RT is a superior tool and it is a shame to limit its use to computer jocks. And it is FREE.
RONC

I have used grossly out-of-date software before, so I can see the utility of such a request; but depending on who you ask, it might be considered a bug, not a feature.

I have dabbled in all kinds of OSs and in general Android and Windows seem to be on the nagging end of the spectrum, often to the point where Windows just reboots without one’s consent. At this extreme, stability could be compromised due to user confusion or anxiety.

Newer versions of RT are stable enough to “risk” not having regular updates. If one is savvy enough to follow development, I am sure he or she would know when to upgrade.

That said, a good compromise might be to provide a deselected checkbox in the Windows/Mac OS installer, giving the user the option to turn on such a feature. Or we could get a “Check for updates” button in the about window. I am not a frequent RT user, so I don’t know if these things are already in place, or what position RT developers have on this topic.

In the end, this is FOSS, not shareware. In other words, there is little incentive to nag people until they capitulate and pay their dues. :smile:

This goes beyond nagging. It can cause data loss.

I sit on the side of this as someone who helps the user with photography. On the processing side I have almost 60 years of image processing using various computer systems.
As I see it, RT is the best raw tool available today. Those who I attempt to help have a computer and software which was set up by the neighbor’s geek kid. Kid went away so user has version 4.1 of RT and a rather new Pentax with Pixel Shift. I get email ask to help. Twelve hundred miles apart I get the user updated and tried first Pixel Shift run. The user is appreciative and probably would pay for what should be, in my mind, included in the software. If RT needs funding, let’s do it. This update question is the same as user documentation.
Software is junk without documentation and support. Support includes making it easy to update etc.

If you follow the forums, some people are real power user but there many more who are afraid to even ask a question because all they know is how to push the shutter, turn on computer, copy images to computer, open program and try to do what was on the forum.

I don’t deliver sermons on Sunday.
RONC

(premise: I only speak for myself, in no way you should interpret my words as written for the other RT Devs)

I’m sure donations are always welcome, but imho what RT needs most is manpower, not money. there’s a long list of features that would be nice to have, a shorter list of things already planned (in a weak sense), and a few outstanding bugs that need to be fixed. but simply not enough people to do everything in a reasonable time frame. this specific feature looks like something that can only happen if patches are provided…

1 Like

I wanted to put it as nicely as I could. :wink: Boy have I suffered from data loss under Windows!

Again, I get it. I have been there as the newbie and as the friendly neighbor. Maybe direct them to this forum. This community is vibrant, friendly and knowledgeable. :sunny:

2 Likes

@rechmbrs, I think that it’s admirable that you put so much effort into helping others who are not knowledgeable. I’m sympathetic to the fact that many Windows users run horribly outdated versions of the products they have installed, and are often ignorant to the fact that newer versions are available (in certain cases, avoiding the new stuff isn’t all bad…Windows 10 itself is a steaming heap of spyware).

Not infrequently, the first response to a user problem on RT is to direct the user to install the current version. The requested feature might actually help reduce the number of reports of problems that only exist on down-level versions.

RT is FOSS software. People maintain it and enhance it in their own time, and to the best of my knowledge for no financial compensation. And you might find that, if it ran like a company, many would drop out. I’ll just leave it at that.

My view of FOSS is different from most of yours I believe. I believe FOSS not only includes the software development but the distribution of the software. Software includes documentation and those things necessary to use either as part of more development but as executable item.
I see the development of the software by Pat, Ingo,… But I don’t see the distribution side at all. If anything I see an ownership question of not really letting it be fully open source. It is not Pat etal but the users who try to hold everything back.
Biggest example is how many of you are helping document RT? I see many of you can write comments well in the threads and blogs but spend 30 minutes a day adding to the RT pedia. There are those of you who know all kinds of stuff about distribution. Figure how to do it not complain about it.
I’m a PITA and darn proud of it. Some people ask for donations. Donate some time where others don’t have your skills.

Sermon over.
RONC

Perhaps packaging RT for the Windows store could help users stay up to date. This would have the desired effect for end users without adding code to RT. With the recent announcement of Windows 10S, it is clear they’re moving towards the App Store only kind of thing.

I’d say it should be packaged for the Mac App store as well, but they’re free software hostile, so that’s probably a no-go.

RT is definately full free and open. There is no ownership per we, because of the license, you have just as much ownership as anyone else. I don’t see why you’d question such things, you are free to do with the code as you please.

Part of an auto updater requires infrastructure that we just don’t have. There needs to be a server side component to that check, then you have to maintain that server and code. I don’t think more code is the answer where there is a lack of man power.

In the end, free software is only as good as the community makes it. I think RT has a pretty good community as there are builders who donate their time to build for every platform, developers who accept patches and write new features. Sometimes it feels like a patchwork, but that’s OK; everyone does the best they can with the free time they have.

1 Like

Word is that it might be even unfriendlier than the Mac App Store, at least on the 10S. It might open up once it is on regular Windows or enough people fume.

We need both, but manpower is more important. And if someone would donate a mac with a recent macOS that would help us probably more than donating money to get the mac builds on par with the windows/linux builds.
That does not mean the mac builds are bad, but there are issues (e.g. keyboard shortcuts), mac builders can not solve and developers can not solve because they can’t test on a mac.

right. and a hidpi display too, otherwise all those issues that periodically pop up will never get solved. but donating a developer with a Mac with a retina display would be even better! :wink:

The Windows store is not unfriendly towards open source. Not only is Inkscape in there, they even initiated the contact with the Inkscape team to make that happen.

1 Like

Houz ,that is great news. Here is what is needed for open source code to be available on the windows store. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694058.aspx

Looks to me that all Pixls.US apps could be distributed that way. Gimp,…
RONC

I can see how RT would have problems getting on the App Store… App Store Review Guidelines - Apple Developer

2.1 App Completeness … We will reject incomplete app bundles and binaries that crash or exhibit obvious technical problems.

RT is still experiencing crashing on quit on mac. https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/3882#issuecomment-304544290

2.4.5 Apps distributed via the Mac App Store have some additional requirements to keep in mind:
(i) They must be appropriately sandboxed

That looks like quite an undertaking! App Sandbox | Apple Developer Documentation

(vii) They must use the Mac App Store to distribute updates; other update mechanisms are not allowed.

… So one would only be able to update via App Store.

2.5.9 Apps that alter or disable the functions of standard switches, such as the Volume Up/Down and Ring/Silent switches, or other native user interface elements or behaviors will be rejected. For example, apps should not block links out to other apps or other features that users would expect to work a certain way.

RT also has issues with certain F-key shortcuts on mac and system reserved functionality. Some keyboard shortcuts not working in macOS · Issue #3510 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

The Mac App Store is convenient enough to keep some utilities automatically updating, but I don’t see RT fitting into Apple’s constrictive ecosystem at present. Even if RT was an idealized mac app, that the app must only be updated by the app store doesn’t make sense to me.

It looks like MS will charge the App owners for the Windows Store service. They don’t say if the service is free for FOSS.