SCALE 16x Attendance, CFP

Oy! Last year we had @paperdigits out at SCALE (Southern California Linux Expo). Well, this year I think I’d like to try to make it and talk about GIMP, PIXLS, and Free Software photography in some way.

1. @paperdigits - You want in on presenting something?
  2. Anyone else think they might be able to make it and want to present in some way?
  3. Anyone else think they might be able to make it (no presenting needed)?

Let’s use this thread to discuss it (pun intended)! The cutoff date for the CFP is October 31st. So if we want to present, we need to be thinking about topics now.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking of finishing up my git workflow for photographers. I’m a bad public speaker though.

I’m just bumping this thread for a moment because the CFP closes tomorrow, OCT 31.

Also, is there anyone else in the community that might be around for the meeting and want to meet up, please let us know here! :slight_smile:

On my to do list today!

1 Like

I will try to submit tomorrow. Might have to do a talk in the open data track, since I’m preparing one for another conference (and just published a paper on it)…

It sounds like we will have our own track! Details forthcoming.

1 Like

Ok, just submitted a general presentation on the community (PIXLS.US) overall. Trying to see if this gets us in the main tracks to possibly gain some exposure.

1 Like

Alright, I just submitted mine as well. In the end, I decided to go in for the Open Data track, since that’s a major aspect of what I do IRL these days. Here’s my title and abstract:

Open source digital data collection for field sciences

I will discuss how to construct and deply a paperless data collection workflow that focuses on the use of FOSS tools such as GeoODK, Qfield, OpenDroneMap, QGIS, and GRASS, and “off-the-shelf” technology such as mobile tablet computers, Bluetooth GPS, and aerial drones. A focus on FOSS tools ensures availability to all, encourages reproducibility and open scientific methods, and fosters wide compatibility in data collection strategies and storage formats. Examples will come from the field of Archaeology, but methods apply widely.

I will also discuss potential best practices for documenting the “meta-data” of field work and analysis through the use of scripted workflows and automated database fields. I will talk about why these meta-data should be made available alongside finalized datasets and will provide some examples of ways to curate and disseminate these data via open online repositories. Finally, I will discuss the the impact that the Open Science movement is having on the practice of field science with specific examples from my own research as a Neolithic Archaeologist.

2 Likes