Scan for device inactive in Darktable 2.4.4

SanDisc Extreme Pro 32 G card, Fujifilm XT-2, card slot in MacBook Air 13-Inch (2017), macOS Mojave 10.14.1

I click on “Scan for device”, see the beach ball for a few seconds and then the message “No supported device found”.

Is it because Darktable doesn’t know which camera I use? If so, how do I tell it? What else can it be?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Is you camera connected via usb to your computer and both devices powered on?

No, I insert the card in the card slot of my computer. Normally, it should work, as this acts as an internal card reader…

I also tried to connect the camera to the computer with a USB cable, following the procedure described in my XT-2 Manual. Same result : No Supported Device Found.

I had the same problem with Darktable 4.2.2.

From the card slot, the photos are easily imported to Photos.

One detail I forgot to mention is that I had to move the Photos app and all my photos to a 1 T0 external hard disk drive, as the MacBook Air’s SSD was getting full. Could this be a factor?

Thanks very much to have taken the time to reply!

I think you’ve misunderstood what the “Scan for devices” button is for. You can read about it here: https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/lighttable_panels.html#import_from_camera

You should copy your files off the SD card, probably to your external disk, then use the import button to import the files into darktable.

If you put your SD card into the computer, the next step is to ensure that the card is being correctly read. Use your file manager to open the card so that you can see the image files … then dt will also read the card

I can see the card in the Finder; I also see the list of photos on the card; one click on a photo in that list displays it in the Finder, but nothing goes to DT…

How is it that DT still doesn’t recognize the card?

It could be that gPhoto isn’t work on your version of MacOS. You should use another application to transfer the photos from your SD card to your external disk. Darktable won’t move the files for you.

From the Finder, I copied the card folder that has the photos to the Passport external drive, and from there I manage to have them show up in DT. A sort of workaround, but the essential objective is met. However, there must be a more streamlined way and it is still curious that DT doesn’t recognize the card or the camera.

I don’t think Photos has anything to do with it. It is actually very easy to get photos from the card to Photos. But DT is a much better editor, though with a steeper learning curve obviously…

Anyway, thanks for your time and kind help, paperdigits and davidvj!

I normally bring up the files on the computer prior to starting dt
Try that

Thanks! I’ll try that with the next photos I take.

It’s not Apple Photos, it’s gPhoto, which is a library that darktable uses to be able to see external cameras.

But I still think you’re misunderstanding the workflow. You shouldn’t be editing raw files directly on the SD Card. Darktable won’t and can’t copy files from your SD Card to another place. The “Import” button in darktable just adds images to the darktable database, the same for “Import Folder.” The “Scan for device” is for shooting tethered to your camera.

In my workflow, I have an exiftool script that I once I mount the SD card, and that script copies and renames the files to an internal hard drive. I then import the files into darktable.

1 Like

Ah… I understand a little better now. Total beginner with DT, here…

So can I safely keep doing what I did today (locating and opening the card in the Finder, dragging and dropping the wanted folder to the external drive and then importing from DT) or s there a risk of losing something?

I think that works just fine as long as finder doesn’t mangle your files (it shouldn’t, but I’ve had past problems when copying around large amounts of data in finder, so YMMV). You may also find that you want to rename/reoraganize your raw files on the file system on import, which is also fine.

If finder isn’t working for you, you could try something simple like rsync from the command line.

Your help is very appreciated! Thanks again, especially that I just learned another acronym, YMMV. The English langage seems to have a boundless love of these :wink:

Cheers!