scene-referred vs. none + manually invoking filmic

Is there any difference between setting dt to use scene-referred vs. none but invoking filmic myself?

I can look at the history and see the steps, but something I read awhile back made me think that using scene-referred and having filmic automatically invoked might be different than using none and invoking filmic myself. Is there some difference? Maybe internally that I cannot see in the history?

No difference, dt history shows all autoapplied modules. You just have to set the initial exposure value yourself - the preset +0.5 used in scene referred workflow is just an initial value to get a proper initial look (since there‘re plenty complaints on darktable showing just dull and dark images by default …)

2 Likes

Thanks! That is what I thought, but somewhere I saw a comment that made me think there might be some difference.

Yes, I knew that I have to set exposure myself if I use none. From playing around I have found that even when I have dt set to scene-referred I have to go back into exposure and adjust it some anyway since the 0.5 default value is often not ideal.

2 Likes