Seaside street against the sun - Rawtherapee & Darktable

Yes, it’s very beautiful. I drove along the coast all around Ireland and also through some central parts with the car in the back :slight_smile:

Wow … an old DKW! Is this your Heckflosse?

No, the Mercedes is my Heckflosse. I met the DKW by accident on Slea Head Drive. That was really cool :slight_smile:

@heckflosse I was first confussed thinking you are refering to yourself in third person but now it makes sense. shame on me that I dont know my local cars :sweat_smile:

@Jade_NL:

I’m rather hesitant to use a (google or other) street view image as baseline for colours (et al).

Yes that is correct. But maybe some can derive some comparison by viewing a lot of comparable shots. Since the n will equal out the differing camera settings (in theory). When looking at the dozens of images of this spot (Google Maps) it seems that the rocks are more brownish with direct sunlight and more blueish with clouds in the air. So maybe most of the interpretations are onto something.

The light (Sun) in your image is heads-on, so there’s a decent amount of glare and as a result the colours are less saturated.

Thanks for this. I did not know that lens flare affects colors and saturation. This seems quite plausible to be the issue why most of you myself included find it quite difficult to process.

I will have a look at your proposed techniques and maybe try Art, Luminosity Masks in Darktable or the special RawTherapee Branch later on.

I expressed myself a bit confusing. Thinking of Mercedes and typing only DKW :innocent:
The question should have been “Is the car in the background your Heckflosse?”

1 Like

I’m not like Caesar :wink:

Looks like there was movement between the shots.

Anyway, I used dcraw to extract the previews and did a simple fusion, local contrast and brightness adjustment using gmic but sorry the forum won’t let me upload the result. It is too ugly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Permission denied - timeout

Looks like there was movement between the shots.

I believe - all my hdrs are handheld. When its bright most of the time it works well also with low iso. It seems hdrmerge will auto-allign images while darktable will not.

Anyway, I used dcraw to extract the previews and did a simple fusion, local contrast and brightness adjustment using gmic but sorry the forum won’t let me upload the result.

Sounds interesting - there must be a way. You can upload it for this spot on google maps :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I played with the color mask in ART with some good good results for seperation but I have still to work on it.

ART
To recover some saturation I used masks. Not really easy to process

Thanks @darix

1 Like

…HDR Merge + DT 3.4.1.1

history in *.jpg

2 Likes

@Suki2019
I like this outcome. I opened the hdrmerge image via darktable and loaded the sidecar file from you. But unfortunately it looks different (I also use 3.4.1.1). Any idea what the problem could be?
The history seemed to load correctly.

maybe something is wrong in the hitory in the *jpg

attached the *.xmp

Seaside street against the sun - Rawtherapee & Darktable-DSC02763-02765_HDRMerge.dng.xmp (15.2 KB)

@Suki2019
Thank you. Now it works. Lots of things to unpack for me since I am new to darktable. I will play a little bit and try to come up with my own version.

Nice and tricky !
dt 3.4.0:

DSC02763_01.dng.xmp (16.2 KB)

DSC02763_03.dng.xmp (16.7 KB)

Since uploading works now, I will share with you a minimalist take. The key is to make a good mask. Mine still has room for improvement.

1 hdrmerge for ghosting. 2 photoflow for raw dev. 3 gmic for masking and brightness adjustment between the fore and backgrounds. (3.1 Cheated a little: gimp to fill in holes and make stronger mask. Could have done it all in gmic but don’t have the processing power.)

pr24524hdr-afre

5 Likes

Merged in Gimp using this plugin http://tir.astro.utoledo.edu/jdsmith/code/exposure_blend.php
Edited in RawTherapee Dev. Using whole image Local Adjustments to separate shadows midtones and highlights.
DSC02763-3 DSC02763-3.jpg.out.pp3 (21.0 KB)

1 Like

My take, DT 3.5, starting from the individual exposures
DSC02765-hdr
DSC02765-hdr.dng.xmp (11.5 KB)

My try with darktable 3.4.0, from one of the exposures
DSC02763
DSC02763.dng.xmp (18.6 KB)

Here is my take. It’s quite chalenge ! My main problem is that rocks in the shadows are tinted blue! But I could find a way to alter that a bit.

Boo - DSC02763-02765_2.cp
Boo - DSC02763-02765_2.dng.xmp (29.8 KB)

And I also went black & white to try a bit.

Boo - DSC02763-02765_2_01.dng.xmp (18.3 KB)