See you on PixelFed?

I like this idea quite a bit! It would be a cool extension of the “lounge” section of the board, making it easier to share our photos with eachother. I must admit, that’s something I still use Facebook and Flickr for, but would love to do it here as well/instead.

I looked into it an on their github is

Please note this is alpha software, not recommended for production use, and federation is not supported yet.

So maybe we’ll wait.

2 Likes

But then it means it’s not federated yet, right?

We can still be early adopters :slight_smile: a nice pixlfed.pixls.us

1 Like

I will be watching how the project is developing

I’m very curious and I’ll give it a try…

:wink:

I signed up to the pixelfed.social instance for now, but would love to join pixelfed.pixls.us :upside_down_face:

I’ve signed up, a while ago, but find it’s not overly navigable.

There’s a problem with too many social sites for sharing images and this one adds to a few that I use and mostly neglect.

I guess I’ll keep poking my nose in every now and then to see how things are progressing.

It seems that pixelfed still doesn’t support federation, which is an important feature and one I’d want to wait to work correctly before we host an instance.

1 Like

:cry:

Of course. Totally understand your rationale.

Pixelfed is now supporting federation – finally! New instances (servers) are popping up already. Would be nice if pixls.us got it’s own instance!

1. why?
  2. I am actually quite happy that we didnt have any copyright issues on the forums so far. I have the feeling a generic imagehosting thing could lead to more problems in that regard.
  3. who will fund it? even the forum collects a lot of data already and again pixelfed will probably require even more data hosting.
  4. lets say we actually would do it … then not without linking forum accounts with pixelfed accounts. so if an use misbehaves on one … he will be gone from both.

So right now … I would say no …

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Woohoo! It’s funny, @paperdigits was just discussing this over on a mastodon thread.

The biggest question I have at the moment is if we could keep it cost-sustaining and if someone is willing to be the owner for us (I don’t want to speak for @paperdigits, and @darix is too busy taking photos and taking care of this place).

From that thread … so what android/ios App can you use to post to pixelfed?

Why do mobile apps matter so much?

1 Like

Exactly! Photography and phones don’t go together in my world. I stick to camera and PC…

2 Likes

Mica, your statement is either really elitist or ignorant or both.

1. my camera* can easily send photos to my phone and I might want to publish directly to my pixelfed.
  2. and while I prefer my camera as well, many people are happy with their phone cameras. If we want to get our families or non techie friends from e.g. instagram to pixelfed than the question for the app will probably one of the first you will get.

* So can your Fuji probably.

Neither really. I just don’t like my phone for making images other than documenting something.

You are right, both my Fuji and my Nikon can push images to my phone (though they don’t).

My point is that the website is mobile as well, and being so young, you wouldn’t expect a strong app presence right away… I mean the server side software is still alpha.

Anyway, here are your mobile apps:

I’m not saying any of those work, but clearly they’re on their way.

1 Like

why?

It’s a nice and focused format to discover talented photographers and to share your own work.

I am actually quite happy that we didnt have any copyright issues on the forums so far. I have the feeling a generic imagehosting thing could lead to more problems in that regard.

This is an argument I hadn’t considered yet, I’m not sure how this is handled in PixelFed.

who will fund it? even the forum collects a lot of data already and again pixelfed will probably require even more data hosting.

There is a storage limit function in the UI already and I guess there will be possibilities for every instance to set their own limits and add payment options for users who exceed this limit. I’ll gladly pay a fair price for a community-owned service without ads!

Skjermdump%20fra%202018-12-29%2013-51-13

There’s a few things going on that are all sort-of related I think.

1. Apps - in general this is essential for a broader adoption. Particularly for modern users that are accustomed to having mobile apps available for interaction. A mobile website is fine, but it really needs to be carefully constructed to achieve similar performance to a native app I’ve found. (This doesn’t necessarily impact our adoption here, but in general.) I’m not so blind as to miss the slight shifting of shooting habits to be casually mobile, which can be just as fun (doesn’t all have to be “influencers” and vacuous people…).

2. Ownership/setup - we certainly could get something setup, but it really would need an owner or champion to be willing to support it.
    Part of that support includes things beyond technically setting it up, but also moderating the community and helping with problems.

3. Cost - we’d really need this to be self-supporting for operating costs. This might not be a problem with the community (they’re pretty awesome).

Maybe we can poll the community about some of these questions to gauge overall interest.

3 Likes